Water softener recommendations - Fleck 5600 sxt or Fleck 5800 sxt system or another brand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alumiu90

Reaction score
Using water softener recommendations in this forum, I am evaluating a Fleck 5600 SXT or 5800 SXT 48,000 grain with 10% crosslinked resin.

I have city water and our daily water usage averages 270 gallons (we have a electronic water meter that provides this information). Hardness level is 16 gpg.

Can anyone recommend a good internet source or distributor in the St. Louis, MO area for a decent system? Also was thinking of a carbon filter system since the chlorine smell is so bad after our village's change to a new water system "Illinois American Water". I have a retired plumber that is willing to do the install for me.

The water softener industry is very confusing to me. Based on my hardness and usage I figure 1.5 cu feet of resin is necessary which is where I calculate the 48k grain.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you soften 270 gallons per day, 1.5 cubic ft is OK, but on the edge. I would increase to 2 cuft.

270 gallons per day would be expected for 4 or 5 people. If some of your usage is not softened, such as yard and lawn, then 1.5 cuft may be just fine.

Regarding 5600sxt or 5800sxt, I don't know. The 5600sxt has a lot of reliable history. I would tend toward that, but there may be somebody with some experiences with 5800sxt. You could also consider the Fleck 2510SXT if you have 1 inch plumbing.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks