Water softener drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Newbie_DIY

Reaction score
Hello,

in my house there are pipes for water softener in the garage, and the drain pipe seems to be already installed in the laundry, into the washing machine tray. The end of the pipe, however, is not open (see attached pic).

I'm doing this for the first time, and not finding much reference. Is it safe for me to cut the end of this copper pipe in the washing machine tray?

Also, can I just connect the drain hose on the middle pipe as shown in the second picture, or should I install an air gap as well?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6691.jpg
    IMG_6691.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6692.jpg
    IMG_6692.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 145
Reaction score
Hello,

in my house there are pipes for water softener in the garage, and the drain pipe seems to be already installed in the laundry, into the washing machine tray. The end of the pipe, however, is not open (see attached pic).

I'm doing this for the first time, and not finding much reference. Is it safe for me to cut the end of this copper pipe in the washing machine tray?

Also, can I just connect the drain hose on the middle pipe as shown in the second picture, or should I install an air gap as well?

Thanks in advance.
Certainly no expert but I believe the air gap is formed by the pipe sticking out at the standpipe that you are asking to cut the cap off of. I think they require it to pass through 1.5" of air before entering the standpipe. First question is, are you sure the two pipe ends you are asking about are opposite ends of the same pipe?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks