Water softener days to regen recommended

Users who are viewing this thread

Roadrunner255

Reaction score
Good morning,
Looking for recommendations on what's the best setting for days to regen and resin longevity.

Just 2 of us and normally use less than 75 gallons per day. Hard water, 120 at the well and 5 parts iron and high tds (central Texas).

Have iron filter 12x52 and 16 x65 (4 cubes) softener set for 100k giving us 0 water hardness, 951 gallons per regen. Clack units with ws1 controllers.

Softener set to regen at 7 days but, we have 3-400 gallons of softening remaining.

I understand the more often you regen the longer your resin will last but should i bump days to 10?
Suggestion s?
Cheers
!

Bannerman

Reaction score
Is your iron filter removing all of the iron so the softener is not removing any iron?
If the softener is not removing iron, then the days override setting could be much higher, as much as 30 days. A higher DO setting will allow the regeneration frequency to be controlled by the water usage meter as opposed to a set number of days.

Although you didn't ask about settings, the usual recommended capacity and salt settings per ft3 of resin when not removing iron is either 8 lbs to regenerate 24,000 grains or, 6 lbs to regenerate 20,000 grains. This would reduce your capacity setting to 96K or 80K grains while using 32 lbs or 24 lbs salt respectively.

As your hardness is excessive, the software's hardness setting should be significantly higher than 120 gpg to account for a high hardness compensation factor. Post #5 at the following link specifies the appropriate multiplier for various hardness amounts.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/fleck-9100-sxt-programming-settings.60651/

Last edited:

Roadrunner255

Reaction score
Is your iron filter removing all of the iron so the softener is not removing any iron?
If the softener is not removing iron, then the days override setting could be much higher, as much as 30 days. A higher DO setting will allow the regeneration frequency to be controlled by the water usage meter as opposed to a set number of days.

Although you didn't ask about settings, the usual recommended capacity and salt settings per ft3 of resin when not removing iron is either 8 lbs to regenerate 24,000 grains or, 6 lbs to regenerate 20,000 grains. This would reduce your capacity setting to 96K or 80K grains while using 32 lbs or 24 lbs salt respectively.

As your hardness is excessive, the software's hardness setting should be significantly higher than 120 gpg to account for a high hardness compensation factor. Post #5 at the following link specifies the appropriate multiplier for various hardness amounts.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/fleck-9100-sxt-programming-settings.60651/
Thanks, using 45lbs of salt per regen and capacity is set at 100.

Reach4

Reaction score
I understand the more often you regen the longer your resin will last
In general? In years? I had not heard that.

Normally that short override would be to deal with iron.

It seems to me that checking the iron level from the iron filter into the softener now and then would be a good idea. I might look into iron test Hach 146400 or 146401.
146400 Iron, medium range - as Fe2+ (0 - 4 mg/L Fe)
146401 Iron, medium range - as Fe** (0.25 - 7 mg/L Fe)

I tend to think the 146400 would be the better choice.

I have the Seachem MultiTest Iron Test Kit but have not been impressed. Reaction is slow, and not really easy to read.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Thanks, using 45lbs of salt per regen and capacity is set at 100.
100,000 / 45 = 2,222 grains per pound salt efficiency which is low. As there is regenerated capacity remaining wben regeneration occurs, then salt efficiency will actually be even lower.

If the iron filter is effective so no iron is reaching the softener, there should be no reason you can't use all of the regenerated capacity by setting a long over ride resulting in the meter initiating regeneration when the programmed capacity has been consumed. Programing a more efficient salt and capacity setting should result in substantial salt savings and less environmental impact.

With regard to resin longevity, while it seems you consider a frequent regeneration cycle will keep the resin capacity 'topped-up' and therefore extend its lifespan, keep in mind, more frequent back washing can result in higher mechanical damage. The common cause of ongoing resin depleation is bead fracturing during backwash. Broken and lightweight resin is commonly discharged to drain during regeneration.

Last edited:

Roadrunner255

Reaction score
Excellent information, I was generally speaking about my regen more often.
We also have 1100 TDS, our area has terrible well water.

Any other less expensive iron test kits? May only use it a few times.
How would I get a water sample after the iron tank, remove or loosen a line coming off the iron tank leading to the softener?
See attached photo, iron tank is the short/first one in the photo.
Thanks again!

BTW, I am not getting emails for responses as set in my options for this post.
thumbnail (1).jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Any other less expensive iron test kits? May only use it a few times.
How would I get a water sample after the iron tank, remove or loosen a line coming off the iron tank leading to the softener?
If you do future changes, you could add a tap. That would be good for sampling, and you might want to fill your water bottle with mineral water.

Increase your days. If you have no symptoms from the softener, don't worry about it.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pictures but if you have stainless flex lines then you can simply loosen them to get a water sample. They will drip until you retighten them.

Roadrunner255

Reaction score
I do have s flex lines, thanks!

Also, i am trying to do "Garys trick" and having a hard time judging the time ckose to the next regen cycle.
I have the no. of days set to off, going by remaining gallons left.
Last night auto regen went off at 160 gallons left, usually gets close to 0.

Is there another setting for this or is it a reserve setting?

Thanks

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Last night auto regen went off at 160 gallons left, usually gets close to 0.
Your Reserve setting was likely programmed for greater than 160 gallons. Whenever the remaining capacity is less than the reserve setting when the regeneration time arrives (typically 2am), then regeneration will be performed. The regeneration setting should be typically 1 day average usage.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks