Water shut off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave2021

Reaction score
I have a Watts regulator FBVS-3 ball shut off valve for the water going out to the sprinkler system and when I turn it off it is still letting some water go through. Can I replace anything or do I need to replace the regulator?
It is Watts FBVS 3. Thanks

6BBAA03D-6364-43DA-B983-47FCDF35AEDE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Wow, I've never, ever heard of a ball valve that has stainless steel ball and Teflon seats fail, EVER.
No real way to fix except replace.

Dave2021

Reaction score
Wow, I've never, ever heard of a ball valve that has stainless steel ball and Teflon seats fail, EVER.
No real way to fix except replace.
Yeah, it is 20 years old, and it has a left and right open position and somewhere in between should be the closed position. Very hard to find it and still get drops …. Thanks

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you leave a ball valve throttled long enough the water will erode the edge of the cutout in the ball and then when closed leaves a little space for water to escape.
1623947142820737245310906406172.jpg
It happened to me here in the upper ball valve in the middle which was being left for a future connection. I drained this whole hotel and added some valves and seperated some sections. When I refilled and pressurized that upper ball valve was leaking by. I had to redrain the whole system and replace it. When I cut the old one out I could see the edge of the stainless steel ball had been edoded.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks