Water not soft, what to check next?

Users who are viewing this thread

TSPORT

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking for some guidance on what to do next. I am an avid DIY'er but almost zero water softener knowledge (but eager to learn!).
System/background: Culligan Medalist. new in 2005. We bought the house in 2010. Other than clean out the salt tank a few times and replace a seal on the head once, never an issue and water always felt soft/slippery up until last month. We are on public water.
Water was no longer feeling soft (slippery). Soap not lathering well. I tested it w/ Hach AquaChek Total Hardness test strips. It was in the high range (250-400ppm range on strip). I was thinking maybe salt bridge but tank was recently filled to top so I was reluctant to empty. Tried some resin cleaner and did a manual regen, seemed to get softer for a day then was hard again. We had a power outage for 30 hours and it regen'd again when power came on. I tested w/ strips again, it's in the 25 ppm range but still feels "hard" and soap is not lathering great (but better than before). Went to remove eductor/nozzle to check/clean, did not want to come out and I was afraid I would break it so I left in. The screen around it came off easily. It looked pretty dirty and I cleaned it. I can probe through center of educator/nozzle so I know it is not clogged. Another regen. Still in the 25 ppm range and not felling soft like did before. I emptied and cleaned the salt tank today. No evidence of salt bridge. I only added a couple inches of salt for now. Did not regen yet. Note: On prior regen's I can see the level change in the brine well so I assume it is drawing correctly.
Questions: What should I check next if still not feeling soft after another regen?
Would replacing the resin be a logical next step (it's 13 years old)? This is something I can do myself but will still cost me about $200 for the resin I need (10 x 54 tank).
I realize Culligan parts are proprietary. I'm afraid if I have them come out for a service call it will cost me more than a new system I could install myself with mainstream components (Fleck, etc).
I appreciate any advice/input.
Thanks! - TSPORT

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
13 years old is usually not a problem to fix but since the parts are proprietary... it might be a good time to start over with a non proprietary system.

TSPORT

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks