Water Hammer?? Need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Isthisit

Reaction score
Hello All,

We have a loud bang in one wall. It is the wall that separates the bedroom and bathroom (second floor). It’s just one loud thud.

I don’t hear it anywhere else. It’s very noticeable in the middle of the night but does occur during the day.My first thought is water hammer but it occurs when we are sleeping so no water has been running. The only thing I can think is the fridge ice maker.

How can I determine if it is water hammer and where it’s occuring?

There is an arrestor on the dishwasher but no where else within the house. I’m going to install them on the washer/dryer and ice maker. Should I be installing them on the toilets and/or other locations.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Any quick closing valves should have a shock absorber . Solenoid .ball cocks etc

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's the ice maker refilling the ice cube trays. They can bang the pipes pretty well. I always install ice maker boxes with the arrestors for that reason.

Hammer arrestors go on
Washer
Dishwasher
Ice Make
And any valve that is quick closing,

icemaker-box-install-3.jpg

mini_resters.jpg

The arrestor on the left is for washer hoses, the one on the right can fit in-line for dishwashers and ice makers.
Typically 3/8" for dishwasher and 1/4" for ice maker.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the toilet flapper is leaking the fill valve will come on for a bit then shut off. That could also be a possible source of the problem.

Isthisit

Reaction score
It's the ice maker refilling the ice cube trays. They can bang the pipes pretty well. I always install ice maker boxes with the arrestors for that reason.

Hammer arrestors go on
Washer
Dishwasher
Ice Make

mini_resters.jpg

The arrestor on the left is for washer hoses, the one on the right can fit in-line for dishwashers and ice makers.

Hi Terry,

Thinks makes a lot of sense. The ice maker is directly below our bedroom. I pulled fridge out and it doesn’t have an arrestor. I turned the ice maker off.

I’m heading out to buy an arrestor for the ice maker, and all my toilets. I just installed them on my washing machine.

Thanks!!!

Do you recommend I drain the system in the meantime.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would hold off on arrestors for the toilets. They normally are pretty slow closing.
Some older homes may have had air chambers for hammer. I used to do that in the 70's and 80's.
Draining the water down in that case allows those to be useful again.

Now that's no longer done, but we use the mechanical hammer arrestors instead.

hammer-arrestor-25.jpg

Last edited:

Isthisit

Reaction score
I would hold off on arrestors for the toilets. They normally are pretty slow closing.
Some older homes may have had air chambers for hammer. I used to do that in the 70's and 80's.
Draining the water down in that case allows those to be useful again.

Now that's no longer done, but we use the mechanical hammer arrestors instead.

Ok, ice maker it is.

Isthisit

Reaction score

Hammer arrestors go on
Washer
Dishwasher
Ice Make

mini_resters.jpg

Thanks Terry,

Indeed it was the ice maker. I turned off the ice maker and the noise was gone. Put an arrestor on it and all is good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks