Water filter suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Shane11

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm looking for recommendations on a filter system with a DIY approach to treating my well water. The main issues are low ph, iron, and possibly IRB. Here are the details.

Well Info:
Date drilled 1982
Depth 150ft
Depth to bedrock 85ft
Static water level 12ft
Estimated well yield 60gpm
Flow rate 11gpm

National Testing Laboratories:
Iron .840 mg/L
Manganese .183 mg/L
Ph 6
Hardness 11 mg/L
Turbidity 12 NTU
"Test taken when water was ok"

I purchased a hach test kit and also installed a 20 inch big blue which captures the ferric iron but not the ferrous.
It seems the iron levels fluctuate greatly. At one point last summer the iron was at 0ppm. Right now they are high and looks like IRB too.

Recent hach test kit:
Iron 8ppm
Ph 6
Hardness 1gpg

After looking at filter systems online I'm a little overwhelmed with the many different tanks, valves, controls, and media available. Two online retailers quoted systems at around $4k. Can someone point me in the right direction on what to get and where to get it? I'd sincerely appreciate any advice. Thanks. -Shane

Reach4

Reaction score
How many GPM can your pump pump into 30 psi or more? For a backwashing filter, that can be an important factor.

Shane11

Reaction score
How many GPM can your pump pump into 30 psi or more? For a backwashing filter, that can be an important factor.

I have a 30/50 switch and 1/2 horse pump. I did a basic flow rate test with a 5 gallon bucket and yielded 15gpm. Another test i did using the draw down method showed 11 gallons per minute.

Reach4

Reaction score
So read posts on "Katalox Light"

I suspect that a filter built with a softener piston, drawing from a solution tank, would do better than the common way-- using a softener piston, but no solution draw. I am not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks