Water backed up in storm drain

Users who are viewing this thread

NoobCali

Reaction score
Recently I have been doing some work on my piping and fixing up my house like having some leaks repaired and installing a PRV. On the driveway there’s a small storm drain around 3.5 to 4 inch in width across, I believe it’s a storm drain with a plastic cover on it. We had some storms recently so I think this was clogged somehow by debris like leaves in the past and now water is coming out of it but it’s still backed up from the looks of it like there’s still water way in there past where my hand reaches.

I’ve reached in and cleared as much as I could and it seems to be good the water is out of it and flowing into the street. Is there anything I can do to further clean the drain? I can take pictures if that helps at all. Can this storm drain being clogged cause any potential pipe or drain issues inside the home ?

Reach4

Reaction score
That drain may not be connected to the local sewer system, and may drain to a lower place on the property... pop-up or French drain.

But it might. A fair amount of Sacramento sewers are combined storm sewer and sanitary sewer, and it is legal to put rain water in there. Here is a Google search for you:
sacramento combined sewer system

NoobCali

Reaction score
this is the drain I was talking about it’s at the end of the driveway I haven’t seen any other like this on my property this is how it looks after about 2 gallons came out of it. I’m mostly just curious if this can be unclogged and if it can do any internal damage to my pipes?
6F9C56D5-D738-4624-BDE4-9880ED7C3EA1.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this near the street? Is the street lower altitude than the house?

Maybe this is the outlet, and is intended to route the water over to the gutter.

NoobCali

Reaction score
Is this near the street? Is the street lower altitude than the house?

Maybe this is the outlet, and is intended to route the water over to the gutter.
Yes to both. I believe it’s the outlet but I’m not totally sure what that means. Is the water that flows from my rain gutters down into the pipe which comes out of this drain and goes into the street gutter?

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes to both. I believe it’s the outlet but I’m not totally sure what that means. Is the water that flows from my rain gutters down into the pipe which comes out of this drain and goes into the street gutter?
Could well be that. Do your rain gutters run into the ground?

Can you disconnect that path and blow a leaf blower in from the input normally fed by the downspout?

NoobCali

Reaction score
Could well be that. Do your rain gutters run into the ground?

Can you disconnect that path and blow a leaf blower in from the input normally fed by the downspout?
they go into the ground. What do you mean by disconnect that path? I can do the leaf blower but I’m not sure if you mean into the drain or into where the rain gutters go into the ground

Reach4

Reaction score
I meant where the gutters go into the ground. I thought you might be able to disconnect both, plug one temporarily, and blow into the other.

Maybe you would cut in and install a leaf filter.

amerimax-home-products-downspouts-4400-e1_100.jpg

NoobCali

Reaction score
I meant where the gutters go into the ground. I thought you might be able to disconnect both, plug one temporarily, and blow into the other.

Maybe you would cut in and install a leaf filter.

amerimax-home-products-downspouts-4400-e1_100.jpg

Would these work on what I have it goes into the ground but I can cut through it?
AA7DEE4D-33DF-4366-B0A3-2DB6D62222B1.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe buy one, and see what you think. You would saw thru the downspout. Maybe you would saw off the rectangular piece of the bottom plastic that you have that goes into the concrete.

I have not done it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks