Washing machine trap height

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew Schrader

Reaction score
Morning everyone,

I added a half bath in my laundry room over the weekend. While I was in the crawl space doing the main plumbing, my partner installed my P trap for my washer 30" above the floor. I'm going to cut it out and re-install it in the 6" to 18" height per code. Just curious if it'll work until next weekend with this installed height? I have a front load washer. If it floods my laundry room I can open the trap door to the crawl space so it won't damage anything. Thanks!

804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors
receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall be
approved for the use proposed and shall be of such
shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding
and shall be located where they are readily accessible
for inspection and cleaning. No standpipe receptor for
any clothes washer shall extend more than thirty (30)
inches (762 mm), nor less than eighteen (18) inches
(457 mm) above its trap. No trap for any clothes
washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6)
inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18)
inches (457 mm) above the floor.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
No issues at 30" but it's the distance of the inlet to the trap. Too short and water could splash back so just stuff a rag around the discharge hose for now. I was just at a rental log cabin in North Carolina and the washer trap was about 6'-7' off the floor and immediately after it was a 2" check valve. That was the height of the line going to the septic tank. Worked just fine.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sure it will work and no matter what happens you mentioned no damage would occur. for a week a couple loads laundry a very temporary situation. no worry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks