Washing Machine P Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim the dude

Reaction score
Currently building a laundry room off of the kitchen. The floor will be the same level as the main floor of the house, which has a basement.
My question concerns the P-Trap for the washer. I assume an S-trap isn't allowed, so I am planning on using a P-Trap. Once the water drains into the trap, I need it to go down so I can use a 90 degree elbow to go through the rim joist of the house. Once the water goes through the P-trap, does the pipe have to travel a required distance before it goes downwards? My very crude drawing has the section-in-question in red. My thoughts are that if it goes south right after the trap, it almost resembles an S-trap, though the horizontal area may negate that problem - just want to know if it has to go for any minimum distance first.

Attachments

• trap.jpg
    trap.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 63

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The limitation is that the outlet of the trap has to be vented before it turns down or falls more than one pipe diameter. Via a dry vent or wet vent (common vent in the IPC parlance) or an AAV (for the IPC).

Cheers, Wayne

Jim the dude

Reaction score
I have a choice between using 1 1/2" or 2". Would using 2" solve the issue as it is self-venting? (not sure if that's the right term)

Jim the dude

Reaction score
The limitation is that the outlet of the trap has to be vented before it turns down or falls more than one pipe diameter. Via a dry vent or wet vent (common vent in the IPC parlance) or an AAV (for the IPC).

Cheers, Wayne
I have a choice between using 1 1/2" or 2". Would using 2" solve the issue as it is self-venting? (not sure if that's the right term)

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, self-venting is not a thing. Washer standpipes have to be 2" regardless.

Cheers, Wayne

Jim the dude

Reaction score
Actually, 1 1/2" is still allowed in the township I'm building this in, and the code officer allows it.

Since the pipes are on the outside of the wall, I'm just trying to do things in an aesthetically pleasing way as possible. Not to hijack my own thread, but could I put everything inside the wall and use an AAV? I'm not crazy about putting the trap in the wall but I could put an access panel in.

Obviously, the thing to do is to see what code wants and allows, just wanted to get some ideas on my options before I speak with them.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can put everything in the wall. The aav needs to be in a vented box. You don't need access to the trap. You'll have access to the drain through the aav opening (vented box) and the trap itself can be cleaned via the standpipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Another alternative is to put the AAV under the sink before the wall. You need at least 2 pipe diameters of horizontal trap arm before the AAV. The AAV needs to stick up 4 inches.

So this would be on the red in your original post sketch.

But wait-- there's more: check out Rectorseal 97402 Pvc-Dwv Fittings Magic Trap, 1-1/2"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks