Washing machine box install - How to deal with vent obstruction

Users who are viewing this thread

Potatoes

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Since I had the existing drywall removed in the laundry room, I was considering installing a washing machine box. Originally the room was drywalled but it had a section missing where the washer connected and drained by the wall. This setup has been like this ever since my family member purchased this house over 25 years ago.

The current washer drain pipe is 36" inches above the floor so I assume that is okay. The hot and cold water lines would need to be moved a bit vertically and raised some to reach the box. My concern is that there is an additional cold water line running horizontally behind the existing area as well as the vent for the laundry room sink. I imagine the cold water could easily be easily be moved down which is not a big deal.

My concern is the vent. Any suggestions on how to handle that?

I fear the worse case scenario is having to move the whole horizontal section of the vent from the laundry sink to the stack is the only way to do it. If that is the case, I may just leave the valve setup as is as there is a lot more stuff to do that is a higher priority that have a modern washing machine box.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 68350718582__C2AD1D1D-B195-455E-B0A6-0E6799516EE9 (2).jpeg
    68350718582__C2AD1D1D-B195-455E-B0A6-0E6799516EE9 (2).jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 226

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That vent is supposed to be 6" above the flood rim of the laundry sink and the the top of the standpipe. Which if it were would leave you with room for the laundry box.

You could check the manual on your washing machine, it should specify the minimum height above the floor for the laundry standpipe. If it's, say, 33", you could cut 3" off your standpipe and hopefully fit in a box that way.

But I think I have seen washers that specify 36" or 39" minimum height, so that could result in a future problem if you change washers. The best solution is to raise the vent to say 48" above the floor.

Cheers, Wayne

Potatoes

Reaction score
That vent is supposed to be 6" above the flood rim of the laundry sink and the the top of the standpipe. Which if it were would leave you with room for the laundry box.

You could check the manual on your washing machine, it should specify the minimum height above the floor for the laundry standpipe. If it's, say, 33", you could cut 3" off your standpipe and hopefully fit in a box that way.

But I think I have seen washers that specify 36" or 39" minimum height, so that could result in a future problem if you change washers. The best solution is to raise the vent to say 48" above the floor.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks Wayne.

If I raise the vent, I assume I would need to make a new run to the main stack. This would require some cutting into framing, tapping into the existing stack (above the current vent tee) and also disconnect and close the existing one. Not sure what the code is for tying into an existing stack and removing / obsoleting an existing one. I added a picture with what I believe would need to be done. It's very rough so I apologize for that.

Attachments

• 68350718582__C2AD1D1D-B195-455E-B0A6-0E6799516EE9 (3).jpeg
    68350718582__C2AD1D1D-B195-455E-B0A6-0E6799516EE9 (3).jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 228
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks