Washer Relocation

Users who are viewing this thread

Pete C.

Reaction score
Hello!

Located in southern NC, I am relocating my washer and dryer from a laundry room off kitchen to garage off of the other side of same kitchen. Total distance is about 12 feet horizontally, but also 15 inches down from main living area (above a crawlspace) to garage (obviously a slab). It would be against the wall between the garage and the house.

Problems arise when I try to plan the P trap and venting. From the garage floor up I have a few inches of cinder block, the mud sill, the end joist, subfloor, then the base plate. It is a full 15 inches before I get to open space between the studs. With P trap supposed to be 6 to 18 inches above floor, I'm not sure of what this will look like. One thought is some type of 2x4 add on where the box and plumbing might live. That might also help further separate the plumbing from the living space, eliminating the whoosh every time the spin cycle begins. Maybe, I don't know.

Reading on here I am seeing that codes do not permit the P trap in the crawlspace under the serviced source (except for a shower or tub), and that the trap has to be at located on the level of the source it serves; however, I'm wondering if there might be an exception in this case since the crawlspace (some of it, anyway) actually IS somewhat level to the source, which is now 15 inches below the original source.

In cases like this---

1. Can the trap be in crawl space? If I came up from the garage floor about 8 inches and drilled a 2-inch hole through the end joist, I would be in crawl space.
2. Can I have an elbow before the trap? It would be the only way to get the pipe through that joist and into the crawl space where there is room to work.
3. I cannot see this tying into any existing vent in the crawl space (nearest is the original vent--12 feet away), so I guess I will need to run a new one through the roof of the garage--argh. Or do I?

What am I missing (aside from basic plumbing skills)? How would you deal with this scenario? I did send a message to a local plumber asking him to call me next week and come look at it, but was hoping to get some ideas of what we are up against--maybe even do some of the more unskilled labor to make his job easier. Thanks in advance!

PC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks