Wanted to DIY a whole-house water softener but this looks like a mess

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYinATX

Reaction score
The three pipes running upward are for my water heater (cold, hot & blowoff). Ignore the adapter mess at the top, I'm cleaning that up today.

I'm guessing the mess at the bottom-right is where I'd have to tap into if I want to install a whole-house water cleaner.
My pipes run under the slab and there's nowhere else that they pop up for access like this.
Not much room to work with. I've done a lot of Sharkbite, PEX & solder work in my house before but I'm no pro.

The pipe setup *should* be all original from when the house was built in the 90's. It's a KB Homes house. :rolleyes:

1667484904091.png

1667484594653.png

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is not enough information to deternine the softener's location, but the photo does show the relief valve line going UPHILL which is NEVER pernitted.

DIYinATX

Reaction score
Hi, thanks. I don't have a softener yet. I was looking at where I should tap into for access to the incoming cold water supply (pre water-heater).

The water heater was several feet tall and would feed down into that line.

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
Since you have soldering experience, sounds like you should take apart the cold water tee at the bottom near the floor.

I would probably then add a union to give yourself a little more room to play with, take up new pipe to the softener, then add a tee on the softener outlet with one outlet going to the water heater and another outlet going back to the two cold pipes at the floor going to the rest of the house. Add a 90º elbow to the existing tee there.

So this

Code:
↑
│
├ ┬ ┐
│ │ │
↑ ↓ ↓

Turns into
Code:
↑ ↓
│ │
│ └ ┬ ┐
│   │ │
↑   ↓ ↓

Assuming I'm interpreting the direction of flow correctly here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks