Wall-Mounted Toilet Rod Length

Users who are viewing this thread

RSquirrel

Reaction score
Our condo unit has back-to-back bathrooms with a Charlotte EZS 800D Starter Fitting, EZS 22 Support Frames and EZS 24 Trim Packages (Note: I cannot physically see the interior of the wall, my info is based on sketchy as-built drawings). The interior wall cavity width is 12”. The cut sheet for the EZS 24 shows that four 5/8” x 12” rods are included with its hardware. The instructions say nothing about cutting these rods, but I’m making the assumption that shortening the 12” rods is necessary. This assumption is based on the fact that it would be impossible, given interior wall space, for the 12” rods not to protrude too far out of the wall; especially on the side that aligns with the 4” stack. See image below for details (RED = EZS 800D; BLUE = EZS 22 FRAMES; GREEN = EZS LEGS).

Q1. Is my assumption correct (i.e. the rods need to be shortened) or am I visualizing the assembly incorrectly?

Q2. The cut sheet lists 5/8” star washers but does not specify their position – do they go behind the cap nuts as shown?

wall-hung-bolt-length.jpg

Attachments

• EZS 24 Rod Length.pdf
    34.4 KB · Views: 296
Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How far out the bolts are from the finished wall will be determined by the bowl you are installing. Plan to have a backing nut and flat washer so that the toilet bowl presses up against those, and not the flexible wall.
The spec sheet below is for an American Standard Glenwall. Find out which toilets you will be installing, and they should have instructions for how far out they will want the bolts.

glenwall_instruction_1.jpg

glenwall_tile_1.jpg

American Standard Glenwall on Mercer Island

gerber-20-021-wall-hung-01.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
The full length bolts are installed on the carrier and the carrier is then mounted to the floor. After the drywall is installed you measure off the wall the length of bolt you need to mount the toilet and then cut the bolts. Again, you need to install backing nuts and you only snug the top left csp nut or you might crack the toilet.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
On a side note. If you cut the bolts too short get some retrofit cap nuts. They make those because to the new wall hung toilet bases are made thicker than the old ones.

Last edited:

RSquirrel

Reaction score
Tuttles, Terry, James,

Thanks all for your answers. It's good to know that my shortening-the-rods assumption was correct (strange that the Charlotte EZS 24 instructions make no mention). Other than still not knowing where the star washers go (the EZS 24 instructions lists them, but does not include them in the accompanying illustration), I now have a much more complete understanding of the mounting scheme.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks