Vortech Distributor

Users who are viewing this thread

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is the timer wheel and the moving of pins on the non sxt 2510.

For the filter..
More pins in the first set, longer backwash.
a few spaces for what would be the brine draw and rinse.
Then some pins for the rapid rinse.
Then 2 spaces for what would be the brine refill and 2 pins for the end..

I have been moving pins to change the setting on Fleck units for so long I don't even really think abou it any more, I just do it when needed.

What is this Pay More Not to get it?

zientm

Reaction score
I understand. What is the resolution of the spaces? Is each space worth a couple minutes?

What is this Pay More Not to get it?

The prices I have found so far (with a Clack valve) are $649 with Vortech distributor, $670 without. So I would have to pay $21 more to get the standard gravel bed.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
It is nice when we can agree!.
I meant it was your opinion.

Watts characterizes the water savings as up to 30%. My experience casts no doubt on that claim.
What is your experience?

In the same installation I have seen a 12" Vortech tank with Filox media that is backwashed at 10 gallon per minute and the media is lifted with the 10 gpm flow. By comparison a 12" tank with traditional distributor, gravel underbed, and Calcite media is backwashed at 13 gpm and the bed is not lifted.
IIRC Filox is quite a bit lighter than "calcite" but comparing two different minerals is not a true comparison of the two different types of tanks.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
IIRC Filox is quite a bit lighter than "calcite" but comparing two different minerals is not a true comparison of the two different types of tanks.

Not sure what you are basing your statement on. Filox runs about 114 lbs per cubic foot and Calcite runs about 90 lbs per cubic foot.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I have to consider the total cost that someone will sell the system to me, though. I have looked around the internet for what seemed to be reputable dealers (including checking them out with the Better Business Bureau) and have come up with the following options for a 1.5 cu. ft. neutralizer with automatic back flushing (all prices including shipping and tax, if applicable):

$535 with Fleck 5600 valve and gravel bed (not quite as confident in this company)
$620 with Autotrol valve and gravel bed
$649 with Fleck 2510 or Clack WS1 valve and Vortech distributor
$670 with Clack WS1 valve and gravel bed
$1218 with Fleck (non-electronic) valve and gravel bed, includes installation (quoted by local dealer)

I am leaning towards the Clack valve, and it appears I can get a system with it cheaper if I go with the Vortech system. Of course, there are issues of after-sales support and the like, which are hard to discover before the fact. And maybe I just have not found the company offering the best deal yet...
You should know that the BBB must be joined by the dealer etc.. IMO that taints the info about the business.

Are all of those using a top dome hole tank?

Do they all include a by pass valve?

Are the Clack WS-1 valves the same version?

Since you have my AN filter listed, you know I include the top dome hole tank, the by pass valve and gravel but not that I also include a 50' coil of drain line and the Clack Wrench and that I use the CS version which allows me/you to select the length of time the backwashes and rinse positions run for. BTW, there are many more than just two choices as someone has said. And I am probably the only one that has real customers posting their experiences in a forum where anyone could contact them. That's comparing some web sites that have a list of customer "testimonials" that look to me as if they are made up. And I think you know where you would get the better after the sale service if needed.

The non electronic version of the 5600 is a poor choice for that size AN filter. You can not change the length of time for the backwashes and rinse on it. And without knowing what version Autotrol control valve there's no way to compare Autotrol to Fleck and Clack valves.

If you look at DIYer repair, you can't beat the ease and low parts prices of the Clack WS-1.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I understand. What is the resolution of the spaces? Is each space worth a couple minutes?

The prices I have found so far (with a Clack valve) are $649 with Vortech distributor, $670 without. So I would have to pay $21 more to get the standard gravel bed.

There are 2 Fleck timer wheels, one that each space is 2 minutes and another that each space is 1 minute..

From when the timer starts its run each pin or empty space equals some part of time , 2 minutes or 1 minute.

So by adding pins one adds time to a part of the cycle, by adding spaces ,,, or by removing pins or spaces one removes time from the parts of the cycle.

The Elect or computer control is done by increasing or decreasing the minutes for each cycle.

The non computer is more simple, fewer different ways of doing, but there is only the motor and 2 micro switches, the computer control has more ways to doing things today than years ago, cheaper that 10 years ago to replace, but the whole computer board has to be replaced if it goes bad..

I use the SXT of Fleck as often as I do with their older timer today and feel good about either of them when I put them in for my customers.

The only thing that I can think of is that the dealer that you are using the price from has gotten a better deal on the new Vortech distributor so they are able to charge less for the setups than with the older setups.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dome Hole and Clack 1190... What a sweet setup.......

Have many a up flow neutralizers set up that way and happy customers.

But I really only pull this off if there is little to no iron in the water....

Changing the Ph of the water with high(over 3ppm)iron gets the iron to oxidize and fall out of the water.

zientm

Reaction score
You should know that the BBB must be joined by the dealer etc.. IMO that taints the info about the business.

Are all of those using a top dome hole tank?

Do they all include a by pass valve?

Are the Clack WS-1 valves the same version?

Since you have my AN filter listed, you know I include the top dome hole tank, the by pass valve and gravel but not that I also include a 50' coil of drain line and the Clack Wrench and that I use the CS version which allows me/you to select the length of time the backwashes and rinse positions run for.

As far as I know, the BBB does not require membership to log and publish complaints against the company.

All include the same size tank, top dome hole, and bypass valve. None of them state that they include drain line, and I would probably plumb it in PVC anyway so I can control the slope of the drain better.

None of the sites specify which version of the Clack WS-1 valve. Your site does not specify that (or the fact that you include drain line and wrench). You may want to add that to your site if that is the case. The company selling it with the Vortech distributor uses the EE version of the valve, which gives you complete flexibility of the times, which, in my estimation, is better than the CS version.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
As far as I know, the BBB does not require membership to log and publish complaints against the company.
I said the company must join the BBB, and pay a fee to belong. I did not say anything about a consumer voicing a complaint.

All include the same size tank, top dome hole, and bypass valve. None of them state that they include drain line, and I would probably plumb it in PVC anyway so I can control the slope of the drain better.
That's why I include 50' of drain line, IMO I'm a better choice than the other dealers but....

What do you know about installing an AN filter? You should use regular water treatment equipment drain line so you do not reduce flow which is already flow controlled and any reduction will cause the filter to fail. And why would not be able to slope a piece of regular drain line? Frankly it usually is easier than PVC because you run it all in one piece with no fittings in the run.

None of the sites specify which version of the Clack WS-1 valve. Your site does not specify that (or the fact that you include drain line and wrench). You may want to add that to your site if that is the case. The company selling it with the Vortech distributor uses the EE version of the valve, which gives you complete flexibility of the times, which, in my estimation, is better than the CS version.
Well some do mention what version of the Clack and as soon as I can I will be changing my site and I probably will include my 'extras' that I have been including since 2002. And as I have told you, the CS version allows setting the length of time of the cycle positions also. And if it were not for me and my posts, you wouldn't know to look at the Clack control valve but... do you really think you are going to know enough about setting up a control valve for an AN filter to be able to set those times correctly?
I don't think so.

You should be leaning on the dealer and he should be telling you how to program the valve and you should leave it alone. Problem is that most of my competition with the Clack do not tell their prospective customer how to size or, their customer how to program the valve. That includes softeners also. They also don't include the 3-7 pages of very detailed assembly, set up, programming and installation instructions that I do. IOWs, you get much more if you buy from me. I doubt that any of my customers are contacting my competition for info on how to do things with the equipment they bought from me; but I hear from their customers fairly frequently.

zientm

Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone for the information they provided. It was a very enlightening exchange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks