Voltage on ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Thinkly

Reaction score
I am replacing some outlets in the kitchen. I tested the ground with my voltage tester and it is indicating voltage. What could cause this?

Afjes

Reaction score
As I replied on another forum you posted on the pen tester can give you false readings. It can pick up from a hot wire elsewhere in the box which it is more than likely doing of the hot wire.

If you don't have an actual meter yet on hand purchase one. Preferrably an anologue meter with a dial and not digital. If you already have a digital that would be useful.

More than likely that ground is not hot.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some digital multimeters have a "low impedance"/LoZ mode that can let you avoid this problem. Fluke 117 and Klein MM700 are instances, but there are certainly others. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-True-RMS-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter-MM700/206517339

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Another way to pick up voltage is a shared neutral. Two circuits are sharing the neutral(white) when a 12-3 with ground is used. Kitchen counter requires two 20 amp circuit and 12-3 is used most of the time. If you turn off one, the neutral is still carrying current for the other live circuit. Voltage sensor pens may detect this.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Another way to pick up voltage is a shared neutral. Two circuits are sharing the neutral(white) when a 12-3 with ground is used. Kitchen counter requires two 20 amp circuit and 12-3 is used most of the time. If you turn off one, the neutral is still carrying current for the other live circuit. Voltage sensor pens may detect this.
In the OP's video, the voltage is being detected on the protection ground, not on the neutral. The protection ground should not be carrying any current in the absence of any fault.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks