Venting Tie-In - Dumb Question

Users who are viewing this thread

MarktheRed

Reaction score
Hi Experts. Doing a remodel in my basement and have a question as to the best tie-in a vent from a new laundry area to the existing vent stack.

This horizontal vent will ONLY be for venting and I have some concerns about using a double wye as it will create a trap for the sewer gases in the pipe. However, I know island kitchens do this sort of thing, but was unsure of it in this application. I have very little headroom to work with (7' ceilings).

Can I use a double wye to connect a horizontal vent to this main / drain? In other words, the horizontal vent will inevitably curve downward at the tie-in like the current single wye connecting the toilet.

I like a wye connector because there is zero chance drainage from the adjacent toilet drain will flow back up it and plug it? If I horizontal tie-it in, I fear I run the risk of plugging from the adjacent toilet due to low headroom, I effectively need to tie it at the same location.

I attached a picture and a sketch. Appreciate the support as always. Hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• question 2.png
    question 2.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 145
  • QUESTION1_50.jpg
    QUESTION1_50.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 133

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The simple answer is that you can't connect a vent there. When two vents join, the connection has to be at least 6" above the flood rim of all the associated fixtures. So to join the laundry vent to the existing WC vent, you have to bring the laundry vent up to at least 6" above the WC's flood rim.

Cheers, Wayne

MarktheRed

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne. I guess I gotta start fishing through walls to create my own drain stack.

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have a floor drain that was individually vented, that's often a solid spot to tie basement fixture vents into.

It'd be nearish the floor drain, and generally the only 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" pipe going into the basement floor. Run any fixtures above, and listen/feel for drainage if you're at all uncertain.

But then, floor drains can vent in other designs, so that pipe might not exist at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks