Venting advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Dmt78

Reaction score
Hey guys, moving on to venting our new home and would like to get some feedback/suggestions on the layout. Metal building frame with 2x4 along the exterior walls and 2x6 in bathroom walls. I'm in Louisiana under IPC 2015. I'm trying to avoid venting through the roof, so would like to go out the right side (gable wall with no soffit vent) if possible. I'd like to connect the kitchen sink and washer vents with the bathrooms IF possible?

Orange and blue dots on floor plan are the vents coming up (each bathroom is venting through the sink vent, except the tub/shower in center)
Green line is my planned vent route (2" all the way?)
Red line is the route I thought about to connect the vents, but if not i can bring those two out separately.

I appreciate any suggestions? Thanks.

FloorPlan.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never vented out side wall; but looks like you can minimum 10 foot above ground and no vents in soffit

Dmt78

Reaction score
I've never vented out side wall; but looks like you can minimum 10 foot above ground and no vents in soffit
I agree the original plan was through roof, but I guess the idea of not cutting the metal roof a good idea if possible.

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
My wife suggested we go through the side also with the loft. I believe you can go out the side as long as you are still 10 feet away from a door or window that opens. I'm not quite there yet but will be following this post because we will try to avoid the roof also. The vents would be right at edge of roof.

Dmt78

Reaction score
My wife suggested we go through the side also with the loft. I believe you can go out the side as long as you are still 10 feet away from a door or window that opens. I'm not quite there yet but will be following this post because we will try to avoid the roof also. The vents would be right at edge of roof.
There’s another home like ours not far from us and their vents come out the side wall about a foot, then turn upwards. Not sure if the upward part is necessary, but it’s an idea.

My main concern is should I combine the kitchen sink and washer to the other vents? Anyone think this would work ok?

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
There’s another home like ours not far from us and their vents come out the side wall about a foot, then turn upwards. Not sure if the upward part is necessary, but it’s an idea.

My main concern is should I combine the kitchen sink and washer to the other vents? Anyone think this would work ok?
Someone else will chime in but I believe that is done all the time. I plan on combining mine all together to a 3 inch. Just not sure yet if I want to go outside in master bath or in laundry area. Although it may be easier and less pipe to make 2 groups . I haven't really measured it all out yet.

Dmt78

Reaction score
I’m sure I’m overthinking this stuff, but rather get opinions now.
Thanks Jeff, yeah I was thinking of turning up, but either way I may put some screen just to play it safe.

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
Was reading a few articles about venting out the wall instead of roof. Most were suggesting that you can do it but it still needs to extend beyond the roof. I will find out any colorado codes on Wed and share his thoughts.

Dmt78

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I’m debating whether to extend it past the roof or not. I have about 15-18” eave overhang I’d have to go beyond.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just go as close to the peak as possible. Solar panels are retrofitted on houses all of the time. The vents don't need rerouted.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any reason for your aversion to going through the metal roof? Worry about leaks, or aesthetics?

Dmt78

Reaction score
Any reason for your aversion to going through the metal roof? Worry about leaks, or aesthetics?
Mostly leaking. Figured if I can avoid the roof penetration, why not. My main question in this post was the layout of the venting system inside. If connecting the kitchen sink and washing machine to the stack with the bathrooms would work.

Reach4

Reaction score
I see there are websites that talk about putting non-leaking plumbing vents thru metal roofs. If it is a standing seam roof, it seems to be better to do the penetration on the flat area. A site I saw said to make the hole in the roof sheathing big enough so that the screws only attaches between the vent boot and the metal roofing. That avoids wrinkling during expansion/contraction.

A roof penetration will seem less hokey to me.

Dmt78

Reaction score
It’s the corrugated roof, so not totally flat like standing seam. I’ve seen the decktite rubber boots used. Thanks for the input Reach

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
Mostly leaking. Figured if I can avoid the roof penetration, why not. My main question in this post was the layout of the venting system inside. If connecting the kitchen sink and washing machine to the stack with the bathrooms would work.
Yeah the main question was definitely side tracked lol. You can combine your vents together. Make sure they slope upward toward main vent where you want to exit. Well I'm ipc in colorado but I'm sure this is common practice.At least that's what has been recommended for my build.Definitely don't want more roof penetration than needed. I might still go with 2 exit points but would rather have just one.

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I’m debating whether to extend it past the roof or not. I have about 15-18” eave overhang I’d have to go beyond.
Yeah I have 12 inches. I just don't see how to do it straight up with the loft covering every plumbing fixture wall besides island kitchen sink . Haven't decided on ceiling for loft vaulted or not . Loft will be 12 feet to eave still so I kinda just want to leave it vaulted. Gonna be a pain in the butt regardless. I feel I will only have the outside wall to work with.

Reach4

Reaction score
With IPC, your vent pipes can slope downward as well as upward (such as inverted V under a peaked roof), as long as there is a drain on each end.

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
Passed rough in inspection today. Got there at 7:30 he showed up at 1:30. That was brutal. Talked to him about the venting situation. Where I'm at he did not recommend putting the vent out the side or close to edge of roof. Said that he has seen when snow and ice sheets let go it just simply wipes them out. Recommended I find a way to get it within 4ft of the peak. 1 ft sticking out . Said my vents could slope or not said it's just air. Was a cool guy surprisingly I forgot two p traps (already fixed) and he said snap pic I'll look at them when I come back for inside inspection. Had test on 3psi waiting for him because at five it was heating up just kept climbing. Told him that and he didn't look at it one time? But I wasn't being dishonest about it so...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks