Venting advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
flat vent piping is fine we just don't want it to pool up, nearly always we give it a bit of slope .
One vent pipe is sufficient .
Maybe inspector nit picky about seeing a trap on a tub that hasn't been installed yet? otherwise how do you forget a trap? like the wash machine had no trap?

Dmt78

Reaction score
Passed rough in inspection today. Got there at 7:30 he showed up at 1:30. That was brutal. Talked to him about the venting situation. Where I'm at he did not recommend putting the vent out the side or close to edge of roof. Said that he has seen when snow and ice sheets let go it just simply wipes them out. Recommended I find a way to get it within 4ft of the peak. 1 ft sticking out . Said my vents could slope or not said it's just air. Was a cool guy surprisingly I forgot two p traps (already fixed) and he said snap pic I'll look at them when I come back for inside inspection. Had test on 3psi waiting for him because at five it was heating up just kept climbing. Told him that and he didn't look at it one time? But I wasn't being dishonest about it so...
That’s great! I was so glad to be done with that part. And I dug mine by hand(of course I didn’t have to go that deep). Once I’m done with all the inside vent pipes I’m going to decide side wall vs roof. Maybe cut a piece just to visually see how it would work. I tested my drain pipe with 10ft water column test. I don’t think the inspector even looked either.

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
flat vent piping is fine we just don't want it to pool up, nearly always we give it a bit of slope .
One vent pipe is sufficient .
Maybe inspector nit picky about seeing a trap on a tub that hasn't been installed yet? otherwise how do you forget a trap? like the wash machine had no trap?
I was thinking after also? But he said they need to be where my 90 was since I told him that was my drain location where the stand pipe was coming up. I told him I was going to make 12x12 boxes for them and add trap later. But whatever they are already in now just deeper than I wanted. My sewer line is about 18" down to 30 plus in depth. So got most everything covered today and then as I'm dog tired I decided to run into cleanout pipe with tractor bucket and jarred it pretty good. Dug down put it back on test and sure enough three leaks around the 4 inch where it goes into trap fitting vertically. So tomorrow more digging to expose the fitting to check pipes coming in and out and then replacing. Never fails!

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
That’s great! I was so glad to be done with that part. And I dug mine by hand(of course I didn’t have to go that deep). Once I’m done with all the inside vent pipes I’m going to decide side wall vs roof. Maybe cut a piece just to visually see how it would work. I tested my drain pipe with 10ft water column test. I don’t think the inspector even looked either.
Yeah that should work. Getting a look at it will help for sure. I'm going to try and find a way to get it to the peak. I'm sure he's right. Those snow sheets coming off the roofs around here do hurt when they hit you. I'm sure he will probably look a little closer when we move to the inside. Don't you have to test the entire system once more? That has me a little nervous . Never know what's going on with those pipes underground. Walking and tamping and backfilling who knows.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks