Vanity Drain into Toilet Vent Stack

Users who are viewing this thread

Atlascycle

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a Bathroom Remodel, I am trying to relocate the Vanity to the wall that has the Toilet located. The Toilet has a 3" Copper Vent running through the wall and out the roof of the home.

My Question is is it possible to drain the Vanity into the Toilet vent before the toilet flange and then tie into the toilet vent stack above to vent the vanity? my only other option would be to tie into the 3" PVC after the toilet

Thank you in advance for any help.

Jason.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A diagram or photo would be required to be sure, but from your description, it sounds like it should be possible.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure what you are describing, but my best guess says you insert a sanitary tee in the 3-inch copper at the right height, and feed the lav p-trap output into that santee. Toilet is properly vented by the wet vent from the lav.

There would be a limit on the length of the trap arm.

Atlascycle

Reaction score
Here is a very Crude paint layout of what i am trying to accomplish.

Thank you for all of your input.

Jason

Attachments

• Drain Layout.png
    Drain Layout.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 171

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is one alternative:
index.php

Right side is from laundry sink(laundry tray). Note the 90 in the corner is supposed to be a long sweep.

Attachments

• img1A.jpg
    img1A.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 162

Atlascycle

Reaction score
Here is a better layout of what is going on:
1661252266358.png

I am moving the Vanity to the opposite wall from where the shower is to the wall that the toilet stack is located.
the stack in the basement currently comes in to the basement turns up and has one 3" x 1.5" PVC Sanitee that excepts the Sump pump and is short coupled to another 3" x 1.5" PVC Sanitee from the tub shower and existing vanity then it turns and has a short section of 3" PVC and then picks up the toilet and then goes up through the wall and out the roof. Where it turns and goes up the wall is 3" PVC that transitions to 3" Copper. I need to verify that the 3" goes into the attic but I have been avoiding the Attic due to the heat currently. My plan was to tie the new sink into the 3" horizontal section after the toilet but was concerned with not having enough slope as i need to cross the floor joists from where the 2" line from the sink enters the basement.
I will be pulling the toilet to remove the tile from the wall behind it and would like to tie into the vent stack from the toilet for the drain and then tie the vent from the sink into the 3" Vent about 4 feet above the floor.

I will try to get photos of the waste lines in the basement tonight.

Jason

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So, drainage wise your drawing is fine, the concerns are on the venting side:

1) Was the lavatory previously horizontally wet venting the shower? If so, and you move the lavatory, you'll need to provide a dry vent for the shower. Or if the shower is close enough to the stack, you could rework the order of connections to the stack to vertically wet vent the shower, depending on:

2) The 3" stack you have labeled as a vent stack, is there any drainage coming down from an upper story? Your labeling makes it sounds like a one story house, in which case no, but it requires verification. As long as nothing is draining down, then your lav drain and vent connections are fine as depicted, and will wet vent the WC. [Although the previous WC venting was weird, as it looks like it was a horizontal dry vent below the floor.]

Cheers, Wayne

Atlascycle

Reaction score
So, drainage wise your drawing is fine, the concerns are on the venting side:

1) Was the lavatory previously horizontally wet venting the shower? If so, and you move the lavatory, you'll need to provide a dry vent for the shower. Or if the shower is close enough to the stack, you could rework the order of connections to the stack to vertically wet vent the shower, depending on:

2) The 3" stack you have labeled as a vent stack, is there any drainage coming down from an upper story? Your labeling makes it sounds like a one story house, in which case no, but it requires verification. As long as nothing is draining down, then your lav drain and vent connections are fine as depicted, and will wet vent the WC. [Although the previous WC venting was weird, as it looks like it was a horizontal dry vent below the floor.]

Cheers, Wayne
Wayne,
1) I will investigate the Venting of the shower when I remove the existing shower and vanity, My guess is that the shower is wet vented via the lavatory.

2) The 3" stack does not currently have any drainage before the toilet. It is in fact a single story ranch home. There was a horizontal Dry vent from the Toilet that turns and goes up through the wall

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks