Use Existing Service for New Duplex?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin Klein

Reaction score
Currently have a property with a small house on it that is serviced by a 4" line to the city connection.

Contemplating deconstructing the old house and building a 2 unit townhouse/duplex. I assume I can use the old line for one unit, but was wondering if I could also use that line to service the 2nd unit. The fixture unit count is all good for one 4" line to service both units.

Monthly sewer fees are calculated from water supply usage and each unit would have its own metered supply.

I'm sure its a function of the jurisdiction you're in (2009 UPC); but in general, is this allowable? Seems a needless expense to tear up streets, additional fees, taps etc. to run another 4" line when one already exists. Thanks for any info/opinions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks