Urgent help needed - Descale cast iron main line

Users who are viewing this thread

Rogerio

Reaction score
I live in a 60 year old home and i am having problems with main/sewer line (cast iron) back up. I had a camera inspection done and there is a lot of scale build up. The total line is about 70 feet. My plumber recommended descaling using a picote machine which seems to be a good advice. Problem is he wants 5.5k to do it. Is this a reasonable price or a rip-off?

Reach4

Reaction score
70 feet is nothing. I would dig it up and replace it with PVC, it will cost a fraction of that price.
Greenwich CT is a premium-priced area, so I think the PVC would cost more than 5.5 k.

Come to think of it, I would think it might come to quite a bit in Billings due to the deeper frost line.

Rogerio

Reaction score
Greenwich CT is a premium-priced area, so I think the PVC would cost more than 5.5 k.

Come to think of it, I would think it might come to quite a bit in Billings due to the deeper frost line.
Yeah things in this town are NYC price. I can probably negotiate the 5.5k down a little but after checking a few other companies the option to dig and replace have been 12-18k. So the descaling option seemed to make sense but 5.5k seems quite a lot

Rogerio

Reaction score
End up getting two more quotes. 1.5k which for me sounds about right. The other 700 which looks too cheap. The 700 quote originally suggest hydrojet which I don’t think can get rid of the bad scale. So when he call me back I told him i wanted to use the picote machine and then he told me he has the machine and that it was even cheaper than hydrojet.

Rogerio

Reaction score
Does this looks like a crack or a joint? Descaling was done today and the plumber showed me this section of the pipe. He said it should be fine but in the long run would be better to line the pipe with Cure in Place Liner

Attachments

• 108EB41B-7269-4322-B628-F9234675D2A3.jpeg
    108EB41B-7269-4322-B628-F9234675D2A3.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 376
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks