Uponor PEX issues - 5 leaks in 2 months. House built in 2015. Need advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lcssmu

Reaction score
if the number of people with problems are represented in this forum the problem might be really small. Take some body like you , you just joined im guessing because you googled something and here you are thios is only 97 posts probebly like 15 people out of 10s of thousand or 100s of thousands of homes . if i had a problem with my brand new car gtrtansmission blowing up Id google it and find like 10 guys that bought the same car complaining of the issue out of a million cars all of us would be on some site together thinking there are millions of POS cars out there. and then we can all find a you tube by some nut job with false claims .
Lcssmu, I dont mean to minimize and sympathy for the inconvieniance I just dont know if the perspective on the problem is accurate and I think there is some either false or misleading info about Uponor.
Tell us about the remedy youy said an entire repipe ? using what type of material brand? type a type b . copper type L maybe a good choice?
Understand your point- I do think it has to be somewhat rare. I have a friend who works for one of the major mass home builders in Denver and they have installed nothing but Uponor for years- and this was all news to him. Don’t get me wrong- I am not happy about my pipe failing and I do think it’s Uponor’s fault- but I’m hoping it was limited to a bad batch and not just an overall product flaw.

As I mentioned we have re piped the entire home, but the plumbers used new clear Uponor aqua pex . In retrospect I would have picked a different product but when we started I was told confidently that it was just the red and blue versions that had issues. Photo attached of just one room. They all look like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 74

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I was told confidently that it was just the red and blue versions that had issues.

I'm not sure anyone can be completely confident that it's confined to the colored pipe alone. Uponor's decision to withdraw the colored pipe for a time (did they?) and sell white pipe with either red or blue printing may have led to speculation it was confined to the colored pipe, and I've also heard Uponor has reintroduced colored pipe (?)

I've also heard that the same problem affects a smaller quantity of white pipe, but maybe there is simply a lot more red and blue pipe sold. (?)

All we can do for now is guess until we get a real answer. I think we'll get that at some point.

John

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Plumbers that use uphonor seem to be part of one big cult. Replacing leaking pipes and repiping with the same brand product? I mean, where else would that happen? I can't understand why anyone would keep using a product that has been known to leak and the company has been paying for repiping for people's homes. Brand loyalty is one thing, but there's no way I would risk it.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Plumbers that use uphonor seem to be part of one big cult. Replacing leaking pipes and repiping with the same brand product? I mean, where else would that happen? I can't understand why anyone would keep using a product that has been known to leak and the company has been paying for repiping for people's homes. Brand loyalty is one thing, but there's no way I would risk it.

Let me say that as an amateur that does a lot of plumbing (rentals), I've used Uponor having bought the tools and never had a problem, but I will never use it again until I get an answer to why what is likely a SMALL percentage of Uponor is failing in what seems to be more localized pockets.

The answer to your question is that there are thousands of plumbers who have themselves done thousands of installs of Uponor and have never had a failure.

The amount of Uponor I've used is statistically insignificant, but if I did miles of Uponor without a problem, I'm sure I'd be more prone to discount what's going on.

The web is a great magnifier of problems.

John

Slomoola

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the leaks and poor pipe quality. I would personally stay far away from Uponor. Too many American made PEX companies out there to even chance any leaks slash floods. Why risk it???

I have 4 reroutes. Darn near a total repipe. Plumbers used Uponor and PEX B with copper rings. Lots of brass and plastic fittings as well.

Because of threads like these, I now have Sioux Chief PEX A and Boshart Stainless Steel fittings. Love the sweeping stainless 90's they have. All at a fraction of one reroute by a licensed plumber LOL. And let's talk about the new found water pressure and volume of PEX A. Loving it.......

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
and Boshart Stainless Steel fittings. Love the sweeping stainless 90's they have. All at a fraction of one reroute by a licensed plumber LOL.

Wow, pricey stuff! I really like the sweep 90s. Too bad they didn't make multi port fittings.

Did you do the repipe yourself?

John

Slomoola

Reaction score
Wow, pricey stuff! I really like the sweep 90s. Too bad they didn't make multi port fittings.

Did you do the repipe yourself?

John
Not really. Compared to one reroute at $2500 smackers, the job was cheap. I did the 4 reroutes myself. Basically copied what was done by a real plumber. Did put more insulation where possible. I used the Sioux Chief copper manifolds too. All the parts at my retail price came in way under one reroute. Not even close.

Love the flow of PEX A. My old system was Uponor PEX B. Was even upsized pipe size for the poor plastic and brass "constrict a flow" fittings. Huge difference in pressure and flow. There is a video using sweeping 90's compared to PEX B brass. Simple gravity makeup on plywood. As you can guess, PEX A and sweeping stainless fittings took the win using zero water pressure.

Forgot to mention the better freeze protection of PEX A compared to PEX B pipe. Now most of my pipes are insulated in the attic. We had -29F temps a couple years ago. And not the wind chill either LOL. All of this was the best PEX parts I could find.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Understand your point- I do think it has to be somewhat rare. I have a friend who works for one of the major mass home builders in Denver and they have installed nothing but Uponor for years- and this was all news to him. Don’t get me wrong- I am not happy about my pipe failing and I do think it’s Uponor’s fault- but I’m hoping it was limited to a bad batch and not just an overall product flaw.

As I mentioned we have re piped the entire home, but the plumbers used new clear Uponor aqua pex . In retrospect I would have picked a different product but when we started I was told confidently that it was just the red and blue versions that had issues. Photo attached of just one room. They all look like this.

I think its more than brand loyalty , they like the bendability charactoristics of type A , and how you join it with expansion rings and the fact the Id on the expansion fittings are larger than crimp joint type fittings of other brands . my home is 23 years old Uponor never had a problem . Do you think thats unusual ? there are over a million homes built per year maybe 90 percent pex or at least 80 .

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I used the Sioux Chief copper manifolds too.

You said you had numerous copper leaks under the slab, did you ever find out what caused the copper failures before using copper in your reroutes?

My house had bad copper but it was a low pH well water problem. I put in an acid tank but of course it doesn't put the copper back so a repipe was necessary. Even with the acid tank, I did not use any copper.

John

Slomoola

Reaction score
You said you had numerous copper leaks under the slab, did you ever find out what caused the copper failures before using copper in your reroutes?
At that time, I chalked it up to old copper with an on paper lifespan of 50 years. Just bought an oil filled water pressure gauge. At the time I checked it was 74PSI. That is on the high end. No wonder with 50 year old copper (at that time) and high pressure we had pin holed copper pipes.

Now it looks like I'm in the hunt for a pressure reg and a thermal expansion tank for the HW tank. Read if you install a water pressure regulator, you must install a HW thermal expansion tank.

After my upgrade slash reroutes, I only used copper in their Sioux Chief manifolds. Everything else is their PEX A pipe and Boshart stainless steel fittings.

Tlwong

Reaction score
@Jessmaster006 - I’m having the same PEX pinhole leak issues in my 2016 built home. I’m out towards Acworth/Dallas area. By chance, would you be willing to share the names of the companies you obtained quotes from. I’d like to give them a call to get estimates also.
I’m in Marietta with the same age house and problems.

Have you filed a claim with Uponor yet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks