Update On My Toto Drake II, the Mike Tyson of Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

JimmyH

Reaction score
My reference to Mike Tyson is not one of disrespect. The 'Tornado Flush' is awesome. I've never seen anything like the way this toilet clears solids. The speed and velocity immediately brought to mind a Mike Tyson knockout punch when he was in his prime. I had posted the problem of the float being defective in my initial install, and Toto sent a replacement which has worked flawlessly.

The Cefiontect is worth the extra $, and with a minimum of maintenance the bowl is shining like a new dime in a goat's butt :) I was worried about damaging the coating, and couldn't get a satisfactory explanation (to me) of what products to use that wouldn't be too abrasive, so I called Toto.

I found out that the coating is only on the inside of the bowl, so ordinary cleaning products will suffice for the outside. In terms of the inside I've chosen to use Dawn unscented dish washing liquid, and a bottle brush meant for drinking glasses and such. This is working out just fine.

I want to thank Terry Love Plumbing Forum for providing the information that enabled me to end up (no pun intended) with this wonderful solution to my toilet problems. Now I'm thinking of a Washlet seat, but I'm unsure whether I would like the sensation of getting my bum washed. High class problem.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Now I'm thinking of a Washlet seat, but I'm unsure whether I would like the sensation of getting my bum washed. High class problem.

Oh, you'll like it. And if feels much cleaner. :)
I've been using the Dawn dishwashing soap too.

dawn-soap.jpg

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
Once you own a Toto Washlet you will never own a home again without one. We’ve had one in our primary home for over 4 years now. My wife who is very frugal originally balked when I bought it. Now she loves it.

We recently closed on a vacation ranch cabin and the first upgrade my wife insisted on was to install a new Toto Drake with a Washlet.

The biggest installation issue is providing power to the washlet.

Suceress

Reaction score
I've heard that the Drake II now comes with the canister/tower flush valve instead of one with a flapper. Was that the case with your new Drake II?
As an aside, when I think of boxing compared to the flush- I think "Hurricane Carter" because of the "Tornado" part for some reason.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Drake II comes in a couple of different gallon flush valves...the insides may vary based on whether it's a 1.6, or lower flush volume.

JerryR

Reaction score
I've heard that the Drake II now comes with the canister/tower flush valve instead of one with a flapper. Was that the case with your new Drake II?
As an aside, when I think of boxing compared to the flush- I think "Hurricane Carter" because of the "Tornado" part for some reason.

My recent purchase (10/23/18) of the original Drake, CST744SL Drake 1.6 GPF Elongated Two-Piece Toilet, (not the II) came with the canister/tower flush valve. I was surprised to see it since every other Drakes I have purchased had the flapper.

Suceress

Reaction score
My recent purchase (10/23/18) of the original Drake, CST744SL Drake 1.6 GPF Elongated Two-Piece Toilet, (not the II) came with the canister/tower flush valve. I was surprised to see it since every other Drakes I have purchased had the flapper.
Thanks for that info, Jerry. I'm wondering if that is standard now and how to find out what flush mechanism it has. Did it come with any information/documentation that said the part number for the canister flush valve? Was the canister already installed or did you have to put it in?

JerryR

Reaction score
It came with the canister installed in the tank. I don’t remember any paperwork with it but I really didn’t look for any since I’ve installed several Drakes before.

Suceress

Reaction score
It shows part numbers for Flush Tower THU440-A[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much! I'll be sure to add that to my notes & share it with others who are seeking info about it. I've seen multiple posts on other forums asking for advice on which toilets to get- I always recommend Toto.

JimmyH

Reaction score
Just saw this tonight. Yes, the tower rather than the flapper. So far so good. I've no complaints with anything about this toilet. BTW, you're showing your age with the reference to Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter. He was quite a sensation in the '60s.

Suceress

Reaction score
Just saw this tonight. Yes, the tower rather than the flapper. So far so good. I've no complaints with anything about this toilet. BTW, you're showing your age with the reference to Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter. He was quite a sensation in the '60s.
I was born in the 70s but my father grew up in the same city and Rubin's little brother was one of my grandmother's students.
I've been having problems with the water level & flushing on my Toto but it's not because of the toilet. The closet flange broke. We used a full repair ring & screwed it to the floor but I think it interferes with how the toilet sits & also think the screws didn't take hold bc the toilet can actually pivot. Had a friend help me with it but I'm going to call the plumber to replace the flange & fix it properly. The toilet was draining too slowly & not flushing all the way so I turned it slightly & it got lined up over the hole better but it keeps slipping. I think a lesser toilet would not flush at all in this situation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Especially when you have a tiled floor, but it can happen with many flooring types, the bolts don't always keep the toilet from moving. The recommendation is to caulk around the front of the toilet. This does two things:
- helps to hold it in place which helps prevent torquing the flange and potentially breaking it
- prevents misses, dirty mop water, etc. from getting under the bottom and making it hard to impossible to clean or keep from smelling.

The holes in the toilet are larger than the bolts holding it down, and you can't tighten the bolts to much or you'll crack the toilet. That means it can move unless you do something else to help keep it in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks