Underground Propane Gas Piping

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbPlumb

Reaction score
Hello,

Are 150# Black Malleable Iron Fittings okay to be used with Schedule 40 Black steel pipe underground in grass for propane gas? Or will they corrode over time even with a protective covering?

I'm using Schedule 40 Black Steel Pipe underground, with #150 Black Malleable Iron Fittings for a commercial building. They will both have a protective covering that is mechanically applied in a factory. The pipe covering will consist of coal-tar enamel, a wrapper of felt and a wrapper of kraft paper. All this will be run in a steel conduit and vented above ground outside. Do the fittings need to be covered in coal-tar enamel, and wrapped in felt and kraft paper as well? Any insight on this situation is greatly appreciated. This is down in Florida.

Thank you!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We only use code approved materials and none of what you mention sounds like anything I've encountered for residential nor commercial.
I know that utility cos do apply coatings on big piping.
Extru-coat is fairly obsolete and epoxy coated is still used, but, the underground approved poly systems with epoxy coated steel risers are superior in every way.

PlumbPlumb

Reaction score
We only use code approved materials and none of what you mention sounds like anything I've encountered for residential nor commercial.
I know that utility cos do apply coatings on big piping.
Extru-coat is fairly obsolete and epoxy coated is still used, but, the underground approved poly systems with epoxy coated steel risers are superior in every way.
Are you referring to Polyethylene piping? In Florida, I believe anything gas underground needs to be protected. Would Polyethylene piping be a better option and encase it in schedule 40 steel pipe underground?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you referring to Polyethylene piping? In Florida, I believe anything gas underground needs to be protected. Would Polyethylene piping be a better option and encase it in schedule 40 steel pipe underground?
Yes. But I don't think it's polyethylene. It's HDPE. Yellow or black with welded joints.

You can do steel pipe, but it needs to be welded and be protected from rot with (forgive me here I've only read about this once in a text book and am not that familiar with the correct wording /procedure) an anode which is wired to the pipe and ran into a separate trench. I would have to look this up, but basically you are rerouting the charge that causes rot to another rod.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check your requirements I just planned out a job with poly gas pipe and transition risers 100 ft included the warning tape, and tracer wire under 200 bucks Home Depot order after going around and around with various plumbing suppliers for way more cost. unfortunately they lead me to believe I had job but wound up canceling on me oh well! Even got certified online by manufacture in like 10 minutes.
Its almost impossible to steel sleeve a sweeping riser you could sleeve the run and do a few things to make changing out if you've got an area you don't want to dig up in future.
I was going to protect the risers with a PVC sleeve where passing thru concrete patio slab.
Any other material more labor and more for parts.
Black is Hack forget about it

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, Jacketed black iron needs to have the joints protected as well.

I'm not familiar with the coating you're describing. We use 1 of 2 types. 1 manufacturer uses a Yellow poly coating with a layer of tar and the other manufacture uses an expoxy coating. When we were using a threading machine, we had to cut the coating 1ft back and then tape all of the exposed pipe and fitting with 20mil tape.

I had to replace a whole underground system that the installer only covered the fittings, but not the sections of exposed pipe. It rotted out in under 6 months.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks