Unable to stop water in tank from leaking down

Users who are viewing this thread

Etbrown4

Reaction score
New korky red flapper and new fluidmaster valve.

Still the tank level apparently drops a little and refills about every 10 minutes.

The seat area under the flapper is smooth, and it appears that the flapper is seating as it should, but it still leaks.

I have on other jobs, occasionally when desperate, glued on a new flapper seat, but don't see that as needed just yet.

What to try now?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
could be a crack in the flush valve assembly at the bottom of overflow tube just below where flapper attaches? could be the bottom gasket

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, why not try a new flush valve? You changed the fill valve, but why not the flush valve?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
might have cracked the flush valve while replacing fill valve. started out with one problem created a new one. it happens

Reach4

Reaction score
Turn off the supply valve, and see where the water level falls to. If it stops 1/2 inch from the overflow, that means one thing. If it stops at the flapper seat, that means something else. If the level falls lower still, that means something else.

Usually you would post toilet stuff into https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/toilet-forum-discussions.3/

You could use the search box, above, to look for "phantom flushing"

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Overflow tube will usually crack at the base. Some of them get very brittle and just touching them, as in changing a fill valve, they'll break and it would not be realized.
1679341598174.jpeg

Etbrown4

Reaction score
Will check and see. It leaks down to the new flapper, at least, and I'll see if it goes any lower. For the reasons you all have mentioned.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
forgot to mention the tiny hose that squirts water down the overflow tube should not be stuffed down the overflow pipe . it will allow siphoning of tank

Etbrown4

Reaction score
I got the tip about the siphon possibilities from Terry about a year ago, so no it is set high.

Update: With water off, the water level drops to the dead bottom of the Kohler Welworth tank! And no, the tank is not leaking on the floor or down into the basement.

I know one poster said that meant something to him at the lowest level in the tank, but he didn't say exactly what.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
replace part as pictured in post number 6. fluidmaster has a kit with the welworth tank to bowl gaskets k400h-021 I just buy the whole kit use parts as needed

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the cure is to replace the whole flush valve, which comes with two big gaskets -- one inside the tank, and one below. Others may have better info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks