Unable to remove Moen single arm handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Bourds

Reaction score
I'm unable to figure out how to get this single arm shower handle off. I've popped the cap and removed the center screw but it will not budge. I've gone around it multiple times and I do not see any set screws. The trip plate says Moen but I haven't found any pictures online that resemble this particular handle. I have two showers each with the same handle and both have the same problem. Anyone have any ideas or know what model this is?

Thanks!

IMG_3813.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It pulls straight off. The cartridge is a Moen 1222 Posi-Temp.

You have the commercial version of the trims. I had the same trim at the hotel I stayed at this weekend.

moen-commercial-posi-parts.jpg

moen-posi-parts-2.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If no set screw it pulls straight off tap it with wood block rock it back and forth , spray vinegar , limeaway in hole , or CLR get busy with it it'll come off. Set screw is always on the bottom you said you looked so that means there is no set screw all the 1222 valves I worked on had set screw. but mine were almost exclusively residential
If valve turns on by turning handle its a 1222 if handle pulls out to turn its a 1200 /1225 cartridge

Bourds

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I worked on it for awhile with vinegar, even tried a hair drier (read that somewhere else) but in the end I snapped the cartridge. Had a fun time getting the remainder of the cartridge out but finally did (should have been replaced anyways). All set now!

All Fug Duck

Reaction score
If no set screw it pulls straight off tap it with wood block rock it back and forth , spray vinegar , limeaway in hole , or CLR get busy with it it'll come off. Set screw is always on the bottom you said you looked so that means there is no set screw all the 1222 valves I worked on had set screw. but mine were almost exclusively residential
If valve turns on by turning handle its a 1222 if handle pulls out to turn its a 1200 /1225 cartridge
This.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks