Unable To Adjust Residential Water Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Alohalife

Reaction score
My first post and desperately looking for answers. I've been in my 35 year old home for 2 years and have never been able to adjust the water pressure. I have had plumbers out 3 different times and regardless of what is tried, the pressure stays fixed at 40psi - no lower, no higher. I'm on my third PRV with no change. The city just replaced the water meter, and the output was measured at 120psi. I know the previous owners had a slab leak many years ago, and I'm wondering if they didn't implement some sort of fixed regulator to mitigate another one. All fixtures in the house show low water output. Any ideas from the pool (pun intended) of knowledge?

Thank you!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
How far down the hill is the meter? 80 PSI loss would be a 184' of elevation difference?

If that is not it, what happens if you tighten on the adjustment bolt on the PRV?

Alohalife

Reaction score
How far down the hill is the meter? 80 PSI loss would be a 184' of elevation difference?

If that is not it, what happens if you tighten on the adjustment bolt on the PRV?
Thanks so much for the reply. The elevation change is roughly 20 feet. Adjusting the bolt on this and the previous 2 PRV's had no impact on the pressure. It stays fixed at 40 psi.

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you measured the pressure at the hose spigot that is nearest the meter? It will probably also read 40 psi, but sometimes hose spigots are teed off before a PRV. It is easy to check.

Alohalife

Reaction score
Have you measured the pressure at the hose spigot that is nearest the meter? It will probably also read 40 psi, but sometimes hose spigots are teed off before a PRV. It is easy to check.
Yes, several hose bibs were checked - all 40. Thanks for attempting to find an answer

I remember reading something about a "closed system" wrt the water heater, and that adjusting the pressure had to be done a different way than the PRV. A solar water heater was installed just before I purchased the home. Maybe something to do with that?

Martinez838

Reaction score
What size is the main running to the house, if they had a slab leak, did they run a new main?
Most places here in florida now require 1” to heater, reducing to fixtures.
How many bathrooms/ kitchens?

Have you removed water savers in shower head to try to get a little more out of it.

Best bet would be to check the pressure coming directly from your side of the meter as close as possible. If it’s low there, then contact the city.
Even at the prv have create a sort of bypass. And at the bypass you could put a gate valve and partially open until desired pressure is reached.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks