Tub spout installation with a threaded drop ear elbow?

Users who are viewing this thread

• KLRmoose

Reaction score
    Hey guys

I'm working on my bathroom remodel and decided to use a bathtub surround. I have a Delta shower valve and soldered on a 1/2" copper tub spout. I was going to install the surround but realized the surround peice that sits against the shower valve/tub spout wall has to be slid into place. That means the tub spout can't stick out past the face of the surround.

The directions call for a certain distance stick out from the surround to install the tub spout. Can I used a drop ear elbow to threaded pipe nipple? I would imagine I would want to use a brass nipple. I'm worried that with the small tolerance I won't be within the proper stick out from the surround that the tub spout calls for. I could probably buy a longer nipple thread it to the proper length.

Just not sure of the proper thing to do in my current situation.

Thanks for your time!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
    Staff member
    Reaction score
    Website
    terrylove.com
    Here are some pitchers showing what can be done with tub shower kits.

delta-lahara-06.jpg

Drop ear and brass nipple.

delta-lahara-02.jpg

Here with a Delta trim.

delta-tub-spout-install.jpg

C-3 shows the install with the brass nipple.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
    Reaction score
    I like to use copper pipe and the delta tub spout adapter. It can be used with threaded pipe or copper.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
    Reaction score
    I use a threaded drop ear , with a threaded nipple capped off then on finish I either use a proper length nipple preferably brass, or I put a male adapter on a copper tube and screw that in

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
    I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks