Tub floods into shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Raise the santees as high as you can, a long drop to the p-trap is not as good.
The ABS needs support every four feet. Yes, support the shower for sure.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

ElHead

Reaction score
Raise the santees as high as you can, a long to drop to the p-trap is not as good.
The ABS needs support every four feet. Yes, support the shower for sure.
Reduce the 1.5 straight and Add a 2” coupling here in the green?

I have one and some short 2” scrap

9EBBCACF-A4BC-48D0-9ECE-5E85CF01AC82.jpeg

ElHead

Reaction score
Like this?

For the tub: With a 1/4” slope (according to the bubble level) that puts the very bottom of the p-trap at 24” from the subfloor.

835DDF2D-66CB-4DDA-BCD4-7C296165EED9.jpeg

Last edited:

ElHead

Reaction score
And for the hell of it I just took about an inch off of that vent pipe because it was pretty chewed up.

So I got that much closer or more to the joists and subfloor

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you really want to raise the san-tees, you could cut the galvanized vent above the double top plate, and put your no hub coupling up there. With the first san-tee side inlet just below the joists, in your top plate notch. Not sure if it's worth the trouble to recut.

With stacked san-tees, minimum drop would be, from top to bottom: 1-1/2" no-hub - ~2" long piece of 1-1/2" ABS (1" into no-hub, 5/8" into san-tee top hub, 3/8" margin) - 2x1-1/2x2 street san-tee - 2x2x1-1/2" san-tee

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

ElHead

Reaction score
Thank you Wayne. "If it's worth the trouble" is the key! But you've described the combination perfectly and thank you for that.

I'll do some measuring and give it consideration. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference but all my couplings have hubs. That's the stop in center yes? Or have I misunderstood that term?

Last edited:

ElHead

Reaction score
Wayne, there are a few obstructions to navigate above the double top plate.

I guess the upside would be not needing extra hangers to support the pipe

3005B62C-C0DE-4B69-857D-01C651D42A5F.jpeg
D2939C30-8CEC-475E-B867-BAA5A54F0281.jpeg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wayne, there are a few obstructions to navigate above the double top plate.
I suggested putting the no-hub coupling above the top plates, with the (top of) side inlet of the upper san-tee just below the bottom of the joists.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like the advice of keeping the trap arms up high as to keep tailpieces shorter As Terry said . references by Wayne of max 24 inch tailpiece, the " as short as practical" tells us that for basically nothing you are building it with quality No need to kill yourself with rework but something I try to practice.
I like the shower on top for reasons Terry mentioned I think makes sense, I Thought to meet code it was wrong but I agree and believe shower on top would likely out perform .

ElHead

Reaction score
I had no way to cut the vent above the plates so I just took off another 1” at the bottom end and adjusted the rest.

It’s all glued in place. Thanks for everyone’s help and advice. Prior to this project I would end up here on different occasions for all manner of plumbing and fixture information (we have a Toto washlet). This has been and continues to be a great source of plumbing knowledge and advice. Have a great weekend and a Happy 4th of July, thanks again!

323D4662-C60A-4665-82CB-7685ED557EAB.jpeg
2576809B-B73D-4124-B9A0-EC3D5A9D82CA.jpeg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had no way to cut the vent above the plates so I just took off another 1” at the bottom end and adjusted the rest.

It’s all glued in place. Thanks for everyone’s help and advice. Prior to this project I would end up here on different occasions for all manner of plumbing and fixture information (we have a Toto washlet). This has been and continues to be a great source of plumbing knowledge and advice. Have a great weekend and a Happy 4th of July, thanks again!

So now for the moment of truth... did this re-work stop the flooding of the shower from the tub?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks