Tub floods into shower

Users who are viewing this thread

ElHead

Reaction score
I would be using 2" pipe there, the upper santee pointed to the shower and it should have it's own p-trap.
The tub santee below that one, and it also has it's own p-trap. So you have two santees stacked. A 2x2x1.5 for the tub at the bottom, and a 2x2x2 santee above for the shower with a 2" p-trap.
If you have a 1.5" drain now, that needs to be upsized to 2".
Dumb question: is the last measurement for the hub? The point where the horizontal connection (center bend) is made?

ElHead

Reaction score
The reason I ask is because when I look at supply websites (for reference) they often use the same stock photo for all configurations.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dumb question: is the last measurement for the hub? The point where the horizontal connection (center bend) is made?
For a 3 connection fitting with a straight path, the nomenclature order is: outlet, straight inlet, side inlet.

So 2x2x1.5 san-tee is 1.5" for the side inlet, for a 1.5" trap arm.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The reason I ask is because when I look at supply websites (for reference) they often use the same stock photo for all configurations.
It's as water would flow in a pressurized system (kind of). So a 2x2x1.5 would have a 1.5 side inlet, and two 2" openings, as water would take the straight path first.

It can get tricky with odd tees that have many ins and outs.

ElHead

Reaction score
Heh heh, the Home Depot plumbing guy just talked me out of buying any new drain parts.

His argument is that if the shower pan was filling up, it’s not the unusual plumbing my contractor designed but an obstruction in the main line.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
His argument is that if the shower pan was filling up, it’s not the unusual plumbing my contractor designed but an obstruction in the main line.
While that has a good chance of being true, the plumbing in the OP photo is still wrong and needs changing.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Eliminate the combi that goes up to the existing single trap / vent.. Long sweep horizontally away from the wall to the centerline between both fixtures, Long sweep up to a 2x2x2x1.5 fixture cross - 2" to the shower, bush down to 1.5 to the tub. 90 over to the existing vent.

ElHead

Reaction score
Thank you Tuttles Revenge, I’ll consider that. I think I only have 13” vertically there to work with, the angle might be the remedy.

ElHead

Reaction score
A new wrinkle, as I may have stated earlier, I capped off the tub and disconnected the shower pan drain. So the tub is in service.

I ran one of those consumer grade 25' pipe snakes through the lower waste line that connects to the main iron pipe. No problem getting it through the entire 25'. But tonight after I used the tub and drained it I went downstairs to make sure I had no leaks at the clean out plug, I noticed further down the line there was some moisture and drips soaking into the foundation. I wrapped a piece of paper towel around the pipe and it came back with wet spot. Apparently that plastic pipe has a hole or a crack in it.

IMG_2108.jpg

So I guess I will be replacing a bit more ABS than I had originally thought.

ElHead

Reaction score
Appears to be a saw cut that was “sealed” with the abs glue/solvent. That seems wrong.

15418A0F-BFFA-4E78-8F55-3D7F1F3CBD78.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep well I can't say I never filled a leak with glue. evidently when it fills with water due to your stoppage it leaks .
The repair is "wrong" but sometimes a guy cheats a little , There are a few ways to go about it the only proper way is cut out a section and put sound pipe in, any sort of patch isn't legal including glue but sometimes a plumber will consider risks for example a minor drip under house vs inside a wall where it could cause damage . It might not have ever leaked be for but plumber saw the cut and just added a little glue . System probably never was put under a test or inspected after it was re worked in plastic

ElHead

Reaction score
I still haven’t found and am not convinced there is any blockage that caused the water to come up into the shower pan. Aside from the poorly designed shared trap/vent configuration. But I keep looking.

Out of curiosity though, I worked a bit of ABS glue into the cut and it seems to be holding. I’m not going to give it another 15 or 20 years like the previous owners did but it’ll do till I can replace the run.

No harm for now.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I still haven’t found and am not convinced there is any blockage
The reason the system backs up from tub to shower is because its installed completely wrong. Drain systems are designed in a certain way so that they work even if some parts have problems, they will still generally work. The work shown above has a plethora of issues and should be started over from the 2" where they patched a sawzall gouge to the drain connections to each fixture.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oops, typo in posts 19 and 20, tub should be on top for compliance with vertical wet venting rules. But shower on top is OK if you think that the horizontal wet venting rules can be used (which I do but that may be controversial, since there's nothing horizontal about the wet vent.)

Also that union trap on the tub isn't useful unless there's a slip joint connection up in the joists that lets you remove the trap and ABS tailpiece. But perhaps you have that.

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. (Edit) If that's all dry fit, and you go to glue it up as is, each pair of hubs is going to end up slightly closer together, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" or more. That's because a dry fit can't seat all the way into the hub, while a solvent weld joint can and should. So for certain locations where the length is critical, you'll have to recut new longer pipes.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Despite what code says, I would prefer the shower on top.
The tub can dump a lot of water at once, the shower never can. Also back in the day, both were run with 1.5"

ElHead

Reaction score
Wayne, I do have a slip joint connecting to a brass tailpiece. I thought about getting a trap with a clean out but opted for this configuration instead.

Terry, we have a big soaker tub (51/58 gallon) So it is a big dump of water.

I should probably add a pipe support to the shower if not both? I bought some of that plastic strapping but wondered if I should have a stronger pole/strap combo?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks