Truly Wireless Thermostat

Users who are viewing this thread

Kneejerk

Reaction score
I am looking for a thermostat that is powered only by batteries that can turn one of my circulators on wirelessly. I have a new Viessmann Vitoden 100W boiler, and a Taco relay that is connected to two separate thermostats and circulators for our small 2 zone house. The problem is that I want to move one thermostat to another room without tearing thinks up to try and run a thermostat wire to it. I have researched ”wireless” thermostats, but have found nothing that doesn’t require a thermostat wire. I’m looking for something simple, that could communicate like Bluetooth to a receiver in the utility room 20 feet away, or, if necessary, via the internet to just turn the circulator on and off. Does such an item exist? Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The probably easier thing would be to leave a thermostat where it is, and maybe replace it with one that allows remote sensors, then program it to use the remote sensor. Most all of those are low-voltage, 24vac devices. Is your thermostat controlling the circulator with switching 120vac, or is it a low-voltage, 24vac, connection?

Most of the thermostats that have remotes, need the C wire at them (the remotes are battery), but not all, so if you don't have the common C wire, that may be tougher. The Nest and I think Ecobee thermostats can use remote(s), and there may be others out there. Your utility company may have a rebate if you replace the thermostat with a smart, programmable one, even if you just leave it in manual mode.

Kneejerk

Reaction score
The probably easier thing would be to leave a thermostat where it is, and maybe replace it with one that allows remote sensors, then program it to use the remote sensor. Most all of those are low-voltage, 24vac devices. Is your thermostat controlling the circulator with switching 120vac, or is it a low-voltage, 24vac, connection?

Most of the thermostats that have remotes, need the C wire at them (the remotes are battery), but not all, so if you don't have the common C wire, that may be tougher. The Nest and I think Ecobee thermostats can use remote(s), and there may be others out there. Your utility company may have a rebate if you replace the thermostat with a smart, programmable one, even if you just leave it in manual mode.
Thanks, I hadn’t realized that could happen. I just ordered a Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Gen with sensors. It appears that the Nest Thermostat E can also use sensors, and is half the price, but has just recently become available for trade purchase only.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You probably already have a 5 wire thermostat wiring which includes the C wire.

Honeywell has several "Tx" models. I think the T9 is best for the home and the remotes work with a battery. The best part is this thermostat can be programmed to which sensor to use during the day if you want several sensors per thermostat. It is WiFi so remotely you can control it from anywhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks