Trouble setting MTI shower base

Users who are viewing this thread

Gvandy

Reaction score
Having trouble setting shower base subfloor is level except for one 12x12 area where it dips down to about an 1/8 of an inch, when shower base is test fitted it goes in perfect, the bottom edge of threshold is resting on subfloor, when I do my mortar piles where my floor is dipped the bottom edge of threshold is not touching subfloor and base flexes, don't know if I'm using too much mortar or not.

Gvandy

Reaction score
Having trouble setting shower base subfloor is level except for one 12x12 area where it dips down to about an 1/8 of an inch,when shower base is test fitted it goes in perfect,the bottom edge of threshold is resting on subfloor,when I do my mortar piles where my floor is dipped the bottom edge of threshold is not touching subfloor and base flexes,don't know if I'm using to much mortar or not.
I have tried 3 times and top of curb wants to flex, also alot of the bottom of the shower base is already touching the floor using the sand topping mix like the manufacturer wants is hard to do cause it doesn't flow under the base.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
shims mortar combination of both some use plaster. but the better it sets the better for long term peace of mind

Gvandy

Reaction score
Having trouble setting shower base subfloor is level except for one 12x12 area where it dips down to about an 1/8 of an inch,when shower base is test fitted it goes in perfect,the bottom edge of threshold is resting on subfloor,when I do my mortar piles where my floor is dipped the bottom edge of threshold is not touching subfloor and base flexes,don't know if I'm using to much mortar or not.
I have tried 3 times and top of curb wants to flex,also alot of the bottom of the shower base is already touching the floor using the sand topping mix like the manufacturer wants is hard to do cause it doesn't flow under the base.

Gvandy

Reaction score
Here you go Terry!

Attachments

• 20220825_110324.jpg
    20220825_110324.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 85

Gvandy

Reaction score
Here you go Terry!
The raised part of it buy the drain is dead level with the base,so it would be resting on the floor so no room for mortar underneath if you want the bottom of the threshold on the floor,thinking maybe that was my problem but just want an opinion on how to go about setting this.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you want it to basically sit on the floor I would take a notched trowel and spread your mortar with it and set it like a giant tile. This would give you some room to "set" it leve. Plus it'll provide some holding power. If the bottom isn't recommended to be set directly in mortar then you can set a very thin plastic sheet on top of your notched trowel preparation.

Gvandy

Reaction score
If you want it to basically sit on the floor I would take a notched trowel and spread your mortar with it and set it like a giant tile. This would give you some room to "set" it leve. Plus it'll provide some holding power. If the bottom isn't recommended to be set directly in mortar then you can set a very thin plastic sheet on top of your notched trowel preparation.
The bottom at it's deepest is 3 inches from floor,directions say "Place enough bedding compound to fill void between the entire bottom of the shower pan and floors just want to do this the best I can installed a cheap Aqua Glass tub and surround 18 years ago and the tub cracked against the backrest,ordered 2 Kohler cast iron Bellwether pans and one came chipped in the front and the other had tiny pin holes in shower floor where there wasn't any enamel,this one came recommended from distributor I had thought about just setting it like a tile,but the difference in depth on the bottom that wouldn't work,0 to 3 inch difference.

Gvandy

Reaction score
The bottom at it's deepest is 3 inches from floor,directions say "Place enough bedding compound to fill void between the entire bottom of the shower pan and floors just want to do this the best I can installed a cheap Aqua Glass tub and surround 18 years ago and the tub cracked against the backrest,ordered 2 Kohler cast iron Bellwether pans and one came chipped in the front and the other had tiny pin holes in shower floor where there wasn't any enamel,this one came recommended from distributor I had thought about just setting it like a tile,but the difference in depth on the bottom that wouldn't work,0 to 3 inch difference.
Shower pan and floor

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The void in the middle would get "buttered" just like when someone "butters" the back of a tile.

When I set showers this is how I do it it works great. I haven't set one with voids in the bottom like yours, but that's how I would do it. I would first set the drain and use a no caulk drain similar to the Jackrabbit. Then set it and forget it.

If you feel more comfortable wait for some other comments. Others may have a method you prefer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks