TPR piping fitting with quick connects & expansion tank question

Users who are viewing this thread

NEJ

Reaction score
Hello,

I had an inspection (for clarity I am the potential buyer) done last week and I was told this:

(1) The water heater expansion tank is not secured properly and leaning. This can put excessive weight on piping which can cause a leak. Fittings are corroded and appear to have previously leaked and self sealed. Recommend proper support bracket be added and piping repaired by a qualified plumber

(2) TPR piping is utilizing quick disconnect fittings. The inspector cannot determine if these will hold should the TPR release high pressure. Piping should be rigid piping rated for the high temperatures and pressures it may see during a discharge. Recommend repair..

(3) The water heater supply valve/piping is corroded and appears to have previously leaked and self sealed. Recommend repair by a qualified plumber.

I had a few questions. Is it true that these quick disconnect fittings shouldn't be there on the TPR piping and it risks becoming disconnected at high pressure/temperature and potentially injuring someone? How serious are those leaks? My realtor had a plumber friend look at it and to "get it all right" it would cost around $1100. But, she couldn't tell me exactly what the plumber thought was wrong? I feel like I can mount the expansion tank myself, but how serious are these other problems? Are the a NOW needed fix? How expensive would it be?

Thanks you in advance!!
water heater 2.jpg

Water heater.jpg

water heater 3.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those pushfit connections are available built into some T&P valve So I might support it or tweak it a little to look better but the fittings stay new owner or realtor can foot the bill as a house warming gift same with gate valve .
The Expansion tank I'd secure if it was my house . I can't say I'd fix it or not I think you have no obligation I can say I'd shop that job and not accept that as being a fair price ( without saying how much I think its worth) I just think you should check that price shoot a cell pic to a few plumbers see what you get back some guys don't mind a pic to either give a firm bid or a ball park

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Who did the inspection? Does it matter if they are right or wrong? If your having an inspection done then you likley have to comply either way.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
By the way this is a hilariously bad water heater install. I would definitely rant that valve changed out.

NEJ

Reaction score
Who did the inspection? Does it matter if they are right or wrong? If your having an inspection done then you likley have to comply either way.

It matters because me as a buyer have to tell the seller what I want fixed from the inspection. They can come back and say yes/no. I told them I want it fixed among other things, but when they came back they left the water heater out. Thus, I was trying to get an idea of what was wrong/what needs to be fixed as I want to determine if I counter offer and hold my ground and say "No, i need it fixed" and risk the deal falling through or just pay for it myself after closing.

NEJ

Reaction score
Those pushfit connections are available built into some tandp valve So I might support it or tweak it a little to look better but the fittings stay new owner or realtor can foot the bill as a house warming gift same with gate valve .
The Expansion tank Id secure if it was my house . I cant say Id fix it or not I think you have no obligation I can say Id shop that job and not accept that as being a fair price ( without saying how much I think its worth) I just think you should check that price shoot a cell pic to a few plumbers see what you get back some guys dont mind a pic to either give a firm bid or a ball park

Thanks Jeff!
I am the potential buyer. What concerns do I run into if I fix nothing? Is it just something failing and leaking all over the garage? I know its hard to tell, but like does stuff like that happen often when there is visible corrosion/self sealing?

Thanks

NEJ

Reaction score
Sorry I have so many questions, but that $1100 number is really throwing me off when I can spend $650ish on a new water heater and then have someone install it? It wouldn't be more then $1000 for labor I feel like? I am so lost when it comes to water heaters and such lol... Given the house is 15 years old wouldn't it almost be best just to get a whole new water heater and have someone install it correctly?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont think its that big a deal but would want that expansion tank fixed no matter who paid for it . the t and p while a hokey looking thing i find mostly cosmetic . gate valve Id get to when I was reworking the tank the way I would want it
I cant tell you whats right Id be ok fixing that if i was buyer or seller as long as you dont have a single other complaint Id fix it for you as a seller.

Reach4

Reaction score
They should have put something under that tank, like a brick or piece of wood. That is the worrisome part -- was the pipe in the wall bent, or what.

Note that WHs and installation of WHs cost more than it did a couple of years ago. Things got more expensive.

NEJ

Reaction score
They should have put something under that tank, like a brick or piece of wood. That is the worrisome part -- was the pipe in the wall bent, or what.

Note that WHs and installation of WHs cost more than it did a couple of years ago. Things got more expensive.

What would a brick/piece of wood do for the tank? It’s not resting on the ground. The garage kinda a built in that it sits on. And good to know about the price! Thank you :)

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks