TOTO Toilet Not Level - Floor Level - Huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beerski

Reaction score
Hi,
Just dropped in our new TOTO toilet in for a dry run.
1) Floor is perfectly level on all sides, but toilet is not when in position. This is quite obvious when the tank is on. (Don't remember this being a problem with last 30 year old toilet.)

2) The flange (which sits on the tile) is out of level on the backside, but I raised the toilet a full 3/8" as a test for ensure it was not sitting to the flange.. Same deal...not square. Toilet measures square. I prefer not to have to replace the flange, if don't have to. I really don't think that is the issue.

3) I can the toilet level it with a ~1/4" shim on the left side. Toilet does not rock . Looks like azz, but not sure what else to do. Is this a 1/4" too high to shim? Will that cause a drainage issue?

4) Other ideas?

Thanks,
Beerski

Reach4

Reaction score
What is not level? top of the tank, or top of the bowl rim? Both the same amount?
I presume you are placing a level across the toilet.

Which way is it not level: left-right or fore-aft?

How out of level is it? In other words, how much do you lift one end of the level to center the bubble?

Beerski

Reaction score
What is not level? top of the tank, or top of the bowl rim? Both the same amount?
I presume you are placing a level across the toilet.

Which way is it not level: left-right or fore-aft?

How out of level is it? In other words, how much do you lift one end of the level to center the bubble?
Thanks for responding.
I am using a good 3-foot level. Floor is absolutely level. Toilet base and tank is out of level left to right. Off by a full bubble. I can level by adding two 1/4" shims to left side. Toilet does not wobble at that point. Looks bad, but not sure what else to do. Is that too much shim? Will that cause a drainage issue? As a note, the flange sits a full 1/2" above the tile floor. See notes above.

Beerski

Reaction score
Thanks for responding.
I am using a good 3-foot level. Floor is absolutely level. Toilet base and tank is out of level left to right. Off by a full bubble. I can level by adding two 1/4" shims to left side. Toilet does not wobble at that point. Looks bad, but not sure what else to do. Is that too much shim? Will that cause a drainage issue? As a note, the flange sits a full 1/2" above the tile floor. See notes above.
Top of the flange, I meant.

Reach4

Reaction score
You started with 1/4 inch shim being enough. Then in #3 you went to two 1/4 inch shims. I don't think two 1/4 inch of shims not on top of each other would bad, and may not be noticeable. You are not saying that they actually need to stack up to 1/2 inch, are you? You are caulking around the base with acrylic caulk anyway.

I am not a plumber.

Beerski

Reaction score
You started with 1/4 inch shim being enough. Then in #3 you went to two 1/4 inch shims. I don't think two 1/4 inch of shims not on top of each other would bad, and may not be noticeable. You are not saying that they actually need to stack up to 1/2 inch, are you? You are caulking around the base with acrylic caulk anyway.

I am not a plumber.
Just one 1/4" shim front and one 1/4" shim in the back.

Reach4

Reaction score
Just one 1/4" shim front and one 1/4" shim in the back.

If your shims don't have contrasting colors or stick out (you cut them to length), clear Polyseamseal would probably make this not noticeable. If you use a while or colored caulk, you can be confident it will not be noticeable. Since I am not experienced applying caulk nicely, I used masking tape to set the borders.

Beerski

Reaction score
If your shims don't have contrasting colors or stick out (you cut them to length), clear Polyseamseal would probably make this not noticeable. If you use a while or colored caulk, you can be confident it will not be noticeable. Since I am not experienced applying caulk nicely, I used masking tape to set the borders.
Yeah, I will figure it out. Using colored caulk. Toilet in place. Nice and level. Time to whip out the caulking gun. Thanks for your support!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks