Toto toilet - loud bang/thud and rushing water from upstairs neighbor

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Steven NYC

Reaction score
Please help! This is stumping everyone (including the building engineer). I live in an apartment complex in NYC. My upstairs neighbor had a Toto toilet installed. I hear a loud thud/bang sound when flushed and the sound of rushing water in my apartment (which is below).

The toilet tank for the toto upstairs is in the wall. The bang is localized to the area where the upstairs Toto toilet is installed. What would cause this loud thud/bang? Is it because the toilet tank is placed in the wall and reverberating down? Why can I hear the water rush out of the toilet and through the pipes (the exit pipes lead from the upstairs toilet along my ceiling to the sanitary disposal pipe in the corner of the entire building line).

I have a video which can't be uploaded but can email it around with the audio.

You guys seem like you can fix anything! Please help!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Post the video to YouTube and provide a link.

The inwall tank flush mechanism is a tower that lifts up to flush and drops vertically about 2 inches to close and refill the tank. Likely the source of the clunk..

The water you hear is likely due to plastic piping being used in a vertical section. But hard to know.

Scott Steven NYC

Reaction score
Post the video to YouTube and provide a link.

The inwall tank flush mechanism is a tower that lifts up to flush and drops vertically about 2 inches to close and refill the tank. Likely the source of the clunk..

The water you hear is likely due to plastic piping being used in a vertical section. But hard to know.
Awesome. Here’s the link. Let me know what you think

Scott Steven NYC

Reaction score
Please help! This is stumping everyone (including the building engineer). I live in an apartment complex in NYC. My upstairs neighbor had a Toto toilet installed. I hear a loud thud/bang sound when flushed and the sound of rushing water in my apartment (which is below).

The toilet tank for the toto upstairs is in the wall. The bang is localized to the area where the upstairs Toto toilet is installed. What would cause this loud thud/bang? Is it because the toilet tank is placed in the wall and reverberating down? Why can I hear the water rush out of the toilet and through the pipes (the exit pipes lead from the upstairs toilet along my ceiling to the sanitary disposal pipe in the corner of the entire building line).

I have a video which can't be uploaded but can email it around with the audio.

You guys seem like you can fix anything! Please help!
+ video link

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I heard a slight noise that sounds like someone activating the flush.. then maybe some other ambient noise. hard to say.

Where was the camera in relation to the toilet? Where does the toilet drain travel from the toilet? Drain lines can be insulated with dense material to cut down their Decibel DB levels. A single wrap of dense material over plastic pipe will cut the noise to nearly the same as cast iron pipe. Enough that you cant tell the difference without a DB meter

Scott Steven NYC

Reaction score
I heard a slight noise that sounds like someone activating the flush.. then maybe some other ambient noise. hard to say.

Where was the camera in relation to the toilet? Where does the toilet drain travel from the toilet? Drain lines can be insulated with dense material to cut down their Decibel DB levels. A single wrap of dense material over plastic pipe will cut the noise to nearly the same as cast iron pipe. Enough that you cant tell the difference without a DB meter
This video was taken from my bathroom ceiling directly below the upstairs toilet. So the camera is below the toilet and separated by the ceiling/floor. The toilet drains into two pipes which run along my ceiling edge to the larger sanitary pipe in the corner of the room. The banging is very loud and can be heard into the two rooms on the other side of the wall. The video volume is off so if you raise your volume will hear the sequence clearly. Do you by any chance work in the NYC area?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks