Toto Drake II ST454E swirls without evacuating

Users who are viewing this thread

BuddyBoy

Reaction score
A friend installed this Toto 10 years ago. He says it's been ineffective at flushing all along. I've never known someone to have trouble with a Toto, so I think it's an anomaly, and am asking for suggestions. Symptom is that it won't even flush TP on first try, let alone #2. You watch it swirl for quite a while, urine is diminished, but anything solid stays in bowl. Their workaround is to stand by with 1.5 cups of water, flush, wait for the "tornado" swirl, and then drop the water into the vortex. Then it usually drops with some force.

He has experimented with different water levels in tank, no difference. The tank fills to 1/2 inch of overflow tube.

Anyone have any ideas? He didn't mention any flushing problems with previous toilet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I pulled one like that and the flooring guy had laid the wax ring right over the drain, preventing a good siphon. Removed that mess, installed new wax and the closet flange and then dropped the toilet down. She was very impressed at what a difference there was.

Second thing to check is the siphon jet hole at the bottom of the bowl, put a glove on and insert your finger there to make sure that is clear. If it's blocked, the siphon doesn't start.

index.php

Next thing, there could be something in the trapway slowing things down. Everything needs to be clear for the siphon to kick through and pull the rest with it. One time the customer had Q-Tips that the kids were tossing in there that were being left in the low part of the trapway, slowing things down enough to mess it up.
I've also pulled out reading glasses, toy solders, little cars, baby wipes.

gi_joe.jpg

Last edited:

BuddyBoy

Reaction score
I pulled one like that and the flooring guy had laid the wax ring right over the drain, preventing a good siphon. Removed that mess, installed new wax and the closet flange and then dropped the toilet down. She was very impressed at what a difference there was.

Second thing to check is the siphon jet hole at the bottom of the bowl, put a glove on and insert your finger there to make sure that is clear. If it's blocked, the siphon doesn't start.

index.php

Next thing, there could be something in the trapway slowing things down. Everything needs to be clear for the siphon to kick through and pull the rest with it. One time the customer had Q-Tips that the kids were tossing in there that were being left in the low part of the trapway, slowing things down enough to mess it up.
I've also pulled out reading glasses, toy solders, little cars, baby wipes.

gi_joe.jpg
You called it, Terry. Green (lime?) buildup was blocking siphon hole, apparently for last several years. He said he'd used CLR in the past, with no apparent benefit, so he just stopped. When he chipped it away this morning the problem was resolved.
It was incorrect to say the problem existed all along. He followed up by telling me it had actually worked fine the first 5 years.

If you have any suggestions about best way to offset lime buildup, that advice would be welcome.

He and I are both thrilled at this simple resolution to a 5-year problem. Thank you. I put a little something in the tip jar.

Reach4

Reaction score
Lime deposits, unlike the fruit, are normally not green. They are white, but might be tad brown or yellowish mixed with other stuff.

Calcium carbonate will dissolve in vinegar. It will not turn black when heated, but green growing stuff will.

A water softener would prevent new lime (carbonate) deposits. I would not get a softener for just that, but softened water is nice.

BuddyBoy

Reaction score
Lime deposits, unlike the fruit, are normally not green. They are white, but might be tad brown or yellowish mixed with other stuff.

Calcium carbonate will dissolve in vinegar. It will not turn black when heated, but green growing stuff will.

A water softener would prevent new lime (carbonate) deposits. I would not get a softener for just that, but softened water is nice.
Thank you, Reach4. In case friend's color description was off, I'll suggest vinegar. Brother uses it frequently to soak off deposits. Should have remembered that.

Reach4

Reaction score
Vinegar is mild, but safe. Phosphoric acid is stronger, and pretty safe.

You might find a bottle brush that could aid the cleaning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks