Toilet flange out of level front to back

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
hello all,

Ive been a viewer of the forums for tile projects before and loved the opinions and comments.

so now after a recent project of running plumbing under concrete I have come to realize that I made a mistake regarding the toilet flange. its out of level front to back. it wasnt an issue till I tiled the floor and now the flange is flush with the tile at the back and 3/8 - 1/2" lower in the front. the tile floor is flat and level.

Ive come up with a couple options to alleviate the problem and hopefully allow for a good seal.

1) a 1" jumbo wax ring with a horn
2) a regular wax ring with horn and stacking a second wax ring on top of it
3) the danco perfect seal

normally I use wax rings with the horn and have never had a problem. Im not sure about option 2 as I think thats a lot of wax that could clog the hole if it spreads out to much. I have no experience with the danco seal.

what do you think is my best and most successful chance of having a non leaking toilet.

thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
How about Danco Hydro Seat? The wax under it could be molded to the ideal shape.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think a plain wax ring does a lot. Wax ring with horn if your set below the tile, jumbo with horn if your even lower.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jumbo wax ring.. no horn

From a question I asked about using wax rings near in floor heat and about the horn.

Hi, I have two questions regarding wax toilet gaskets. 1- what temperatures can a wax toilet gasket tolerate before melting due to a radiant heated floor? 1- What is the purpose of the horn in wax toilet gaskets?

"The melting point of our wax rings is 150F. The horn is something people prefer for peace of mind but it does not enhance the performance of the seal. If the toilet is set properly it will preform the same with or without a horn.

Thank you

Oatey Technical
technical@oatey.com
Oatey Supply Chain Services, Inc. | 20600 Emerald Parkway | Cleveland, OH 44135 | 800.321.9532 | Oatey.com

Reaction score
a picture is worth 1000 words.

the back of the flange is level with the tile. the front about 1/2".

20220705_210728.jpg

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
a picture is worth 1000 words.

the back of the flange is level with the tile. the front about 1/2".
I always wondered why it mattered if the flange was perfectly level. The toilet as far as I know should never come in contact with the flange. For example the full weight of the toilet resting on the flange. The wax should smash proportionately to the uneven spaces.. albeit messy..

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I always wondered why it mattered if the flange was perfectly level. The toilet as far as I know should never come in contact with the flange. For example the full weight of the toilet resting on the flange. The wax should smash proportionately to the uneven spaces.. albeit messy..
Yes, normally the bowl never touches the china, and the wax conforms to whatever is there.

Reaction score
thank you all.

Ive been given many different opinions regarding the height of a toliet flange. some like it just below the finished floor and some like it flush or slightly above finished floor.

more than likely Ill pick up the 1" jumbo ring with horn. Ive always used rings with horns and never have had a problem with a leak. worse case scenario and it doesnt seal and leak up go to the danco.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks