Threaded Tub Spout Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

bobimhoff

Reaction score
I am currently replacing the trim kit in my ~30 year old bathroom in Oregon. The last thing I need to replace is the tub spout, and the spout in my kit is a slide-on. My old spout is an IPS connection with the threads all the way against the shower wall (see photo). My issue is that the nipple only extends 3/4" from the shower wall. It's not in great shape, and appears to be either iron or galvanized with a pvc threading slapped on. I'd like to either extend the nipple to receive either a slide-on or more modern threaded spout, which requires the nipple to extend 3-4 inches from the wall. Unfortunately most conversion kits aren't for nipples that are this short. I can't find any spouts with the threading against the wall - does anyone know what these are called?

Open to any and all suggestions and guidance - just want to get this thing done!

IMG-9076.jpg
IMG-9077.jpg
IMG-9079.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look inside of the slip spout that you purchased to see if the slip portion is just an adapter and the tub spout has threads. Most of them do. You can remove the slip adapter from that style and extend your threads to match.

bobimhoff

Reaction score
Look inside of the slip spout that you purchased to see if the slip portion is just an adapter and the tub spout has threads. Most of them do. You can remove the slip adapter from that style and extend your threads to match.
It did have a slip adapter inside, which I removed. How would you recommend extending the threads? Looks like the spout's threads start about 3.5" from where it seats against the wall.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A brass threaded coupling and whatever pipe nipple makes up the rest. A coupling generally only fits at the wall end of the spout, so in your case that looks about where your existing nipple is.

The nipple extension that you found likely has what we call Straight threads rather than Tapered threads that the spout and your existing pipe nipple have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks