Threaded pipe behind finished wall...

Users who are viewing this thread

KenC

Reaction score
I'm installing a Symmons shower valve with a diverter and hand shower. The rough in directions say that the hand shower connection is a 1/2" threaded pipe that ends 1/4" behind the finished wall. What's the best way to deal with this?

If I put the pipe in and then finish the wall, how do I get tape/joint compound on the threads before putting on the adapter, since they're now behind the wall?

If I leave the pipe off until after I finish the wall, how do I install the pipe and make sure the connection isn't leaking.

I suppose another option is to install the pipe and the brass fitting before the wall goes up and just protect the fitting with some kind of covering.

I guess the 3rd option, which just occurred to me would work the best. How do you handle this situation? :confused:

Ken

manny1602

Reaction score
Use Oatey Pipe Joint Compound on the female side of the elbow
You should protect your threads on your wall pipe with a female coupling until your tile job is finished.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

You put the fitting the proper distance behind the wall. Finish the wall and tiling. Then put the sealant onto the proper sized pipe, screw it into the shower fitting, then put sealant onto the other end and screw it into the fitting in the wall, then tighten the whole mess by turning the shower fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks