Thermometer to test pipe temps recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Stupidhomeowner

Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to test my radiator send and return pipe temps. Just wondering if you guys can send some links to some that you think are good.

I tried using my electronic probe thermometer from the kitchen but it takes forever for the temp to climb.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I usually put a piece of electrical tape on the spot I'd like to measure. These types of temp gauges average the temp from the object to the tester and they do reflect the ir signal responsible for its temperature calculations. So on order to use it correctly and accurately there is some learning involved.

I'm sure there are better tools for hvac (in fact I know there are) but this is fairly cheap, dependable, and multi use tool.

Stupidhomeowner

Reaction score
I usually put a piece of electrical tape on the spot I'd like to measure. These types of temp gauges average the temp from the object to the tester and they do reflect the ir signal responsible for its temperature calculations. So on order to use it correctly and accurately there is some learning involved.

I'm sure there are better tools for hvac (in fact I know there are) but this is fairly cheap, dependable, and multi use tool.

So a piece of electrical tape around the object being tested would be done using any temp tool?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
So a piece of electrical tape around the object being tested would be done using any temp tool?
I just use the electrical tape so the ir reflection is minimal. To dull the reflective surface of copper or metal sometimes. An infra red temp gauge can reflect and make readings unreliable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks