Testing for functionality

Users who are viewing this thread

Machisono

Reaction score
Aloha All,
I am testing a Pentair Sta-rite high pressure booster 1.5 HP pump (HPS10F-01) that I have been told is no longer functioning due to impellers being melted. Having some free time I decided to throw it on the bench and open the pump shell that houses the impellers. To my untrained eye the individual discs looked fine, they were not fused together. I then wired the pump and plugged it into my generator and the shaft spun freely, I reassembled and ran water through the pump but I did not have a pressure gauge on the opposite end to quantify.

Are there any experts that can offer advice on what typically goes bad on these units?
Thanks in advance
Machisono

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is the little hub on the inlet eye of the impeller that counts. Melting causes the eye of the impeller to get smaller. There needs to be very little clearance between the eye of the impeller and the wear ring in the diffuser. Even a couple thousandths of wear and the pump can no longer develop the pressure it should.

Easy test is to run the pump against a closed a valve for a minute. The deadhead or max pressure of a pump is known and it should be that much or the impeller is no good.

That is a very high head pump. It shows to do 610' of head max, which is the same as 264 PSI.

Machisono

Reaction score
Aloha Valveman,

Thanks for the advice. I checked with Pentair Flow Technologies and they pretty much said the same thing. I thank you for the advice. Yes we are moving water that far in elevation to a 17K holding tank and then gravity feeding to three homes.

Mahalo (thanks)

machisono

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks