Sump pump wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Oldspicesocal

Reaction score
Determining if this sump pump is wired correctly, the pump is in a small well that goes about 12 ft. deep that collects ground water (clay), there’s a gfci junction box nearby with a conduit that leads to about ft below the surface of the of the hole. The extension cord is connected directly to the gfci receptacle and other end in the hole with a hanging receptacle for pump to plug into. This set up seems like if the pump or float malfunctions the rain/ pool water would submerge the hanging receptacle popping the gfci compared to if possible switch it one long cord that plugs in to the gfci above the ground.

Thoughts this setup on what’s code. Thanks

Attachments

• D58D5707-5C19-4813-940F-BC47547A1505.jpeg
    D58D5707-5C19-4813-940F-BC47547A1505.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 107

Reach4

Reaction score
12 ft deep, for real? How far down is the pump, and what controls the pump?

I would not want my sump pump to stop due to a GFCI. If I were to really have to do that, I would want an alarm, either for the rising water, or the GFCI tripping. I am not a pro, and I would expect to not have a GFCI there for long after the inspection.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is an area where I feel the electrical code isn't entirely clear on what is best practice. What you have - an above ground GFCI connected to an underground pump by an extension cord - is probably about a close as you can get to a safe install. That being said if that sump pit is protecting your basement from flooding you may want to reconsider that GFCI. Also please make sure you have a very heavy or lockable cover on that pit. You don't want to discover someone's child headfirst down inside it.

Oldspicesocal

Reaction score

I would not want my sump pump to stop due to a GFCI. If I were to really have to do that, I would want an alarm, either for the rising water, or the GFCI tripping. I am not a pro, and I would expect to not have a GFCI there for long after the inspection.
Thanks

Oldspicesocal

Reaction score

Yes 10-12ft it goes to the lowest point in the pool. Maybe there’s a French drain that leads to it. If the pump doesn’t work it’s not life or death but it’s best that it is. It would be nice if the extension cord has a really long.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks