Sump pump location

Users who are viewing this thread

cmw

Reaction score
I have a basement flooding problem during rainstorms. The water appears first at the inside rear corner of the concrete block wall where it meets the garage floor (about 3ft below ground level).
Then more water appears in isolated patches at the base of the same rear wall further over from the inside rear corner where the water first appeared.
Now, the confusing part is that maybe 30 minutes later, seepage starts to occur through fine cracks in the floor. These cracks are located about 24ft over from the original inside rear corner and 10ft inward from the rear wall.
My question is: where to locate a sump pump or, do I need more than (1) pump? How do I make that determination?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I do not have any links to offer here, but I have seen some systems that are intended to channel water from all around the perimeter of a basement and into a single sump. Unless you are dealing with a tremendous amount of water or you cannot get it all to run to a single location, I cannot imagine needing more than one pump.

In my own case, I had a leaking wall in the basement with an accumulation of water in one corner, and my son-in-law and I solved that problem by addressing drainage issues outside the house ... specifically, by repairing a disfunctional rain gutter along that side of the house and by re-directing gorund-surface water away from that particular corner altogether. In other words, I would suspect you can at least greatly reduce your problem by doing some work on the outside of the house. But if your basement floor might be too close to the water table for that to truly work -- you had mentioned seepage up through cracks in the floor -- you might look into possibly using a well of some type to extract water from under your basement floor during heavy rainfall. A school here where I happen to live was built in a swampy area, and I have heard there are extraction wells and pumps keeping it dry 24-7-365.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks