Sump Pump cycling

Users who are viewing this thread

cmw

Reaction score
We have been having a lot of rain & snow melt that fills my sump (about 20" dia) rapidly.
I'm using a Zoeller M53 that starts about every 28sec. Cycle is 14sec pump out + 14sec refill.
The float allows about a 5" reduction of water height & then shuts off for the refill of the sump.
The cycle time will become less over the next couple of days as the flooding diminishes.

My question is: Am I using the right kind of pump? What are my options?
Seems like I may be significantly reducing the life of this pump or at least the on/off switch with about (2) starts per minute.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The problem can be improved on if you bypass the factory float switch and plug the pump into an adjustable one.
I like the SJE Rhombus Verticalmaster.

cmw

Reaction score
c_c, thanks for your response.
Your suggestion for the SJE Rhombus Verticalmaster is a step in the right direction.
But, it seems to add only another 1" to my pump out column of water.
I would like to find the same design that would allow a 10"-12" pump out column.
BTW, I talked to Zoeller tech support and they said I should not be concerned about my pump cycle time since it only happens a couple sessions a year with each session lasting about 4 to 5 days.

cmw

Reaction score
R_VTR, thanks for the response.
I'll need to find out more about the reliability of this setup.
What I do like is the ability to setup the height of the water column to pump out that suits my application.

RinconVTR

Reaction score
R_VTR, thanks for the response.
I'll need to find out more about the reliability of this setup.
What I do like is the ability to setup the height of the water column to pump out that suits my application.

You wont find it here. But you also wont find failures here either. Many here are what I see in the water industry (in gereral! relax guys!), in that most want to stay with the old tried and true methods and dont feel the new stuff is better than the old. It is very hard introducing new inovative (electronic based) products into the water world.

What you will find are that more major manufacturers are moving into this technology and doing away with floats all together.

IMO, this "switch" is by far more dependable than any mechanical switch. And thats coming from a Mechanical Engineer...who does always like electronics pushing mechanicals around.

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
The technology really isn't that new; I've worked with inductive relays for over 20 years. As long as the device has the capacity to handle motor loads, the reliability should be high.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks