Sudden Brown Water

Users who are viewing this thread

AR_Hills

Reaction score
Our water has all of a sudden started running dark muddy brown with tiny bits of slate. The slate is typical when we have a power outage and I have to prime the system. However, it goes away within a few hours and the water is never brown.

I’ve flushed the well for several hours for two days and it will clear up for a hour or two and then almost instantly become dark brown again.

Today I noticed that the pump is producing bubbles and caveating enough to shake the entire piping.

I’m thinking either the pump is sitting on the bottom or it’s failing. Our family plumber friend thinks the water table is low or the well collapsed.

Any thoughts?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Pumping water over an extended time will likely have substantially lowered the quantity of water stored in the well. When the water level is lower, water will enter more rapidly from the surrounding soil.

I suspect the rapid in rush caused loose sediment in the surrounding soil to enter the well through the screen in the casing. Some particles may have partially blocked the screen so the well may now be recovering more slowly than it had previously, which maybe resulting in the pump drawing air while running for a short time.

AR_Hills

Reaction score
Pumping water over an extended time will likely have substantially lowered the quantity of water stored in the well. When the water level is lower, water will enter more rapidly from the surrounding soil.

I suspect the rapid in rush caused loose sediment in the surrounding soil to enter the well through the screen in the casing. Some particles may have partially blocked the screen so the well may now be recovering more slowly than it had previously, which maybe resulting in the pump drawing air while running for a short time.
The brown water was prior to me flushing the well out. We woke up and noticed on a toilet flush the water was brown.

The flushing helped for a few hours but it came back during the flush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks