Stumped - No Water Flow to Moen Shower Head(s)

Users who are viewing this thread

Doug Coulter

Reaction score
Hi all - this all started so simple yesterday. We were having low hot water flow to our shower head(s). I went to Home Depot to pickup a new 1222 cartridge, and ultimately came back with a new magnetic detachable shower head assembly (which included a 1222 cartridge).

Anyway, I removed the overhead shower head and cleaned it with CLR, removed the flow limiter and re-installed.

Then I removed the original detachable Moen shower head and replaced it with the new magnetic one, and removed its flow limiter.

Lastly, I removed the 1222 cartridge and installed the new one along with the new valve handle assembly. This all seemed to go pretty smoothly.

My problem is now I can not get any water to either shower head. I confirmed there is definitely water making it to the valve, as it will flow straight outward with the cartridge removed. When I inspect the piping, I can see the hot water inlet on the left and the cold water inlet on the right. The pipe is capped on the bottom, since we do not have tub. What really has me baffled, is there does not appear to be any opening in the top side to feed the shower heads. I tried to capture this in the last picture. When I run my finger on the inner topside of the pipe opening, I just don't feel anything that would permit water to flow upwards, but it clearly was working before somehow (albeit flowing slowly!)

There is a diverter valve above the main valve that controls which shower head is being fed.

I feel like I am missing something extremely obvious here! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Doug

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Doug Coulter

Reaction score
...also - I wound up not replacing the 4 port valve with the one that was included with the new shower head assembly (new one pictured below), because I am not very comfortable with making the proper connections. I think the hot and cold water inlet connections are PEX, with the outlet to the showered being welded. Really wouldn't know how to take the piping/connections that are there and adapt them to the new 4 port valve. One thing for sure though, the included 4 port valve has a clear opening in its top to feed the outlet to the shower!

IMG_0031.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try to soak your diverter valve in clr. I think that's why you had low flow.

Doug Coulter

Reaction score
Turns out that shower head diverter valve also can be opened/closed by pulling it out or pushing it in. Unbelievable. I must have had it pushed all the way in (closed position). We have been in this house for 3 years and never knew that we could turn that valve on/off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks