Stuck tub spout. Help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Sforms

Reaction score
Hi I tried the simple task of replacing the tub spout. It has a set screw which I removed, but I cannot get the spout off the pipe. I can actually unscrew the entire spout from the inner plastic adapter piece that is on the pipe but the plastic will not budge and I don't want to damage the pipes. Tried spraying some wd40 but I think it's too tight to even get in there. Any advice? Any trick I can try? Thanks!

Sforms

Reaction score
You are saying that you cannot turn the plastic?

How about a photo?
Yes the plastic is stuck to the pipe. The set screw is on the top and I did remove it to try to get the plastic off but I just put it back on for the time being in case I can't figure it out and have to keep using this one.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not familiar with that faucet, but I suspect you will want to take that Phillips head screw out. You might use a small ViseGrip on the screw head and a screwdriver at the same time to get torque to get that screw moving.

Sforms

Reaction score
I am not familiar with that faucet, but I suspect you will want to take that Phillips head screw out. You might use a small ViseGrip on the screw head and a screwdriver at the same time to get torque to get that screw moving.
The screw comes out easily. It's the plastic piece that won't budge.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While it's not threaded on (I don't think), I'd still try rotating it which may break the bond, or if it is threaded, loosen it. There's probably some mineral deposits, or if it's got O-rings, they're stuck to the pipe. IF you use a similar type, you may want to put some silicon plumber's grease on things so the next time it comes off, it does so easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks