Strange Slime Building up in Toilet Tank and Bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Bnmintx

Reaction score
We recently purchased a new townhome and we are seeing a build up in both the toilet bowl and the toilet tank. Hoping that someone has seen this before and can point to the source and how to fix it.

We have not moved in yet, so the toilets set for several days without use. After about 5 days, we start to see a gray/clear slime form on the water surface and around the edges. This happens in the bowl and the tank. See two photos below. Note that the blue color in the tank photo is an artifact of the camera, the slime is actually a gray color.
IMG_6725.JPG
IMG_6717.JPG

If we let the toilet set for a week or so, the slime turns brown and the builds up on the edges and drops into the bowl. See photo below.
IMG_6709.JPG

If anyone has any insight into this issue, we appreciate your input.

Ignore the dates on the photos. We went through several cycles of this build up (flushing and cleaning toilets and starting build up again). We shared the best photos.

Last edited:

Bnmintx

Reaction score
We recently purchased a new townhome and we are seeing a build up in both the toilet bowl and the toilet tank. Hoping that someone has seen this before and can point to the source and how to fix it.

We have not moved in yet, so the toilets set for several days without use. After about 5 days, we start to see a gray/clear slime form on the water surface and around the edges. This happens in the bowl and the tank. See two photos below. Note that the blue color in the tank photo is an artifact of the camera, the slime is actually a gray color.
View attachment 86001View attachment 86002

If we let the toilet set for a week or so, the slime turns brown and the builds up on the edges and drops into the bowl. See photo below.
View attachment 86003

If anyone has any insight into this issue, we appreciate your input.

Ignore the dates on the photos. We went through several cycles of this build up (flushing and cleaning toilets and starting build up again). We shared the best photos.
Bumping this up to see if anyone has any insight on this slime we are seeing. Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sewer or septic? If sewer, I would look to add some bleach.

Septic can take some bleach too, but you want to limit that.

If a tablespoon of bleach in the tank does not have a big effect on the stuff in there, then the stuff in there is not alive.

Bnmintx

Reaction score
Sewer or septic? If sewer, I would look to add some bleach.

Septic can take some bleach too, but you want to limit that.

If a tablespoon of bleach in the tank does not have a big effect on the stuff in there, then the stuff in there is not alive.
It is on city water/sewer.

I've read that adding bleach to a toilet can cause issues. Is that safe to do.

Reach4

Reaction score
IMO, yes, in moderation. With long exposure it can deterorate the flapper and maybe the seal in the fill valve. But as a one-time test/treatment, it should be good.

Do you sometimes smell chlorine in your water? If not, you may be at the end of the line, and chlorine may be depleted.

As to what that stuff in your toilet is, I don't know. Knowing living or not would be useful in figuring that out, I would think.

Bnmintx

Reaction score
IMO, yes, in moderation. With long exposure it can deterorate the flapper and maybe the seal in the fill valve. But as a one-time test/treatment, it should be good.

Do you sometimes smell chlorine in your water? If not, you may be at the end of the line, and chlorine may be depleted.

As to what that stuff in your toilet is, I don't know. Knowing living or not would be useful in figuring that out, I would think.
Thanks for the responses Reach4. Don't really smell chlorine in the water. If it is living, when I put a tablespoon of bleach in, should the milky slime clear up. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It may or may not clear up entirely. Depends on your water supply.

I'd turn the water off, flush the toilet, clean out any remaining water, and clean the tank as best you can with something like Moldex, but just some dishwashing liquid and bleach may do it. It may be tough to clean the filler, but on the flapper valve, you can take that out and wash it carefully along with the throat into the toilet bowl. I'd then turn the water back on and add a little Moldex or a little bleach, and let it sit overnight. You could put some into the bowl as well.

Most of the things you can put into the tank will tend to play hell with the rubber components long-term. Overnite, unless you go crazy with the concentration, shouldn't be an issue. Worst case, you have to replace the flapper valve, but they're inexpensive.

Bnmintx

Reaction score
It may or may not clear up entirely. Depends on your water supply.

I'd turn the water off, flush the toilet, clean out any remaining water, and clean the tank as best you can with something like Moldex, but just some dishwashing liquid and bleach may do it. It may be tough to clean the filler, but on the flapper valve, you can take that out and wash it carefully along with the throat into the toilet bowl. I'd then turn the water back on and add a little Moldex or a little bleach, and let it sit overnight. You could put some into the bowl as well.

Most of the things you can put into the tank will tend to play hell with the rubber components long-term. Overnite, unless you go crazy with the concentration, shouldn't be an issue. Worst case, you have to replace the flapper valve, but they're inexpensive.
Thanks again for the inputs and advise.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If this is an entire new building with a new connection to the city water main, it could be the new pips have not been flush out adequately. The city may have extended the water main to the new site. Usually the water company will open a hydrant to clear the pipes and to get enough disinfection chemical levels standing. With a white pail, fill it with water from any outside spigots after running the water for a minute or two. If you get the cloudy look from yours and other units, it's the new pipe or the city water itself.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
We are on a well and we get that when the water sits for a few days. In our case it's iron bacteria. If the house is used it never forms but it's a vacation home so it will sit. It's not harmful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks