Steam Radiator Cap & Lowering Height?

Users who are viewing this thread

LCF

Reaction score
I am getting ready to renovate 2 bathrooms in my house with steam radiators. Quick questions about the radiators:

1 - I need to remove the radiators prior to the reno, but it's still winter and I will need to plug both pipes so no steam comes out while i'm renovating. What sort of cap can I use to install on the union? I didn't know if a standard black iron cap would work? Or would it be a plug?

2 - The new flooring will add 1/4 inch to the height of the radiators and I am not sure if there will be enough flexibility in the pipes that come through the walls to reattach the union to the radiators. Will it be OK to angle grind 1/4 in off of the feet of these rads to make up for the added height?

PHOTO ATTACHED.

Thanks!

Attachments

• rad.jpg
    rad.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 69

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cap or plug will depend on where you can get it apart. That valve should close so it shouldn't really matter

Reactions: LCF
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks